Thursday, June 10, 2010

Crazy Eyes

I just finished night 4 of Vacation Bible School. I was too quick this year to brag to all of my friends that I wasn't even teaching this year, just "helping". Well, due to a family emergency the teacher I was working with had to miss VBS this year so I became the teacher. Of 17 3-5 year olds. I only have a helper because one of my kid's grandmas feels sorry for me. She told me so. She actually told me last night that she was very tempted not to come back, but she just felt so derned sorry for me. Bless this woman. I'm going to name one of our puppies after her.

Highlights of this week:

*The first night I asked the kids to tell me what is God's greatest creation. One of the girls replied, "Cowboys."  I assured her many women feel that way. :)
*Tuesday night the kids were so bad during the story that I was tempted to tell them monsters would come eat them in their sleep if they didn't straighten up. I didn't. At the end of the night one of the boys told me he loves me. It made it all worth it.
*Last night we had a 3 year old leave our class to go hang out with his 11 year old brother's class, another kid had to leave sick and I lost one of our kids during supper. Seriously, she wanted to play "hide and seek" but she didn't bother to let me know I was IT. It was a scary few moments.
*A great thing about teaching 4 year olds is that when you ask what prayer is you can start a conversation about flying sailboats.
*Tonight when I was talking to the class one of the girls said, "Just tell the story!" I guess she had had enough of my small talk. :)

My most favoritest moment was when one of the girls asked, "Why do you keep doing your eyes like this?"

She was referring to my crazy eye look and anyone who knows me in real life knows that I make some C-ARAZY faces. I don't know why. My sis-in-law has the most gorgeous pics from her wedding of candid shots of her waiting for pictures. I mean they are GORGEOUS!! If someone had done that of me there would have been "the squinty face", the "crazy eyes", the "weird sucked in lips face" and the "eyes half closed, I look drugged" face. Seriously.

Here is why I kept making the crazy eyes


I was told that they don't decorate the little kid's Bible study room because they're only in there for 20 minutes. (The LONGEST 20 minutes of your life) I hate that there are no decorations on this wall. Maybe next year. If I'm properly medicated.....

My favorite part is music and let me tell ya, these kids can boogie!!


I've enjoyed cuttin' a rug with them too. Until I learned that the sound guys were videotaping. Mercy. There is no telling what will show up at the parent's night tomorrow night. I fear I will really regret the bright colored plaid shorts I wore the other night...as well as my overexcitement when it was time to dance.

Okay, so we've established that I am not Michelle Duggar. I don't think I could even be Kate + Jon. My children have certainly suffered from the addition of these little people in my life. Last night I had to send Eli back home after we got in the parking lot (sometimes I am so thankful we live in the parking lot of the church!) to change clothes because I realized he was sho nuf wearing the same clothes he had worn the day before. However, my worst moment in mothering happened tonight. I was playing drill sergeant keeping all of the kids "ON YOUR BOTTOM" until their parents got there. When our VBS director told me we could take the kids on the van I hauled booty out of there only to realize I FORGOT KATE!!!!! Thankfully I remembered before we left on the van. And thankfully the nursery people did not report me or leave my child stranded. Thankfully, we all made it home, even if my eyes are permanently stuck in "crazy"mode.

Another exciting, non-VBS related highlight of this week is that I got my first check from my dance job. It is to buy music for our upcoming dance camp. It was thrilling to get a check for any amount (did you know housewife is not a high paying position?), but even more touching to me was the card my new boss sent it in. She could have totally just sent it in an envelope and wrote "BUY MUSIC". But she didn't. She sent it in a very sweet card that makes me thankful I will be working for her. I'm not sure she really knows what she is up for though. The card said that thinking of me "adds a little touch of sanity to my crazy world". Bless her heart. She hasn't been around me much has she?????? Well, she will get her chance when we have two weeks of 8 hour dance camp days with girls ages 5-12. Something tells me she might just get to see the crazy eyes.....

No comments: