Tuesday, December 29, 2009

My Daddy

My Daddy was a gentle giant.

People always commented on what a big guy he was. I was always quick to point out that he was just “Daddy sized”.

The perfect size for a good bear hug. The perfect size to hold me up to see things little girls were too small to see. The perfect size to open jars. The perfect size to make me feel safe.

My Daddy was loyal. He had been a Saints fan since 1967. Need I say more? :)

My Daddy spent his free time holding onto the back of bikes, making runs to the skating rink and shopping for Ninja Turtles.

My Daddy coached basketball when I was six. He didn’t know anything about basketball, but I wanted to play and they needed a coach. So he coached basketball.

My Daddy sat through SIXTEEN dance recitals. Not because he was a lover of ballet, but because it was important to me.

My Daddy took me to work with him at his nursing home every single day the summer I was eleven. I learned to love “the least of these” and learned that my Daddy was adored by his staff. I was so proud to be “Mr. Strickland’s daughter”.

My Daddy chauffeured hormonal teenage girls to the mall in a minivan and tried to help us understand boys.
My Daddy listened to the same music I did. He was cool. :)

My Daddy taught me to keep my head on a swivel, wear my seatbelt, lock the doors and not pick up hitchhikers.

My Daddy was a great listener. He entertained many deep discussions with a daughter who thinks too much.

My Daddy told my sister and me that we could wear anything and look good. We make clothes look pretty, he said.

My Daddy encouraged me to follow my dreams and spread my wings, but made sure I knew I could always come back home.

My brother once said that we could pump gas and my Daddy would be proud of that. It’s true. He was proud of anything we did, but mostly just that we existed. Not everyone has someone like that in their lives.

My Daddy was funny. Hilarious. Hysterical. He could make me laugh until I cried, and usually about something that nobody else would understand.

My Daddy was a provider. Even after I got married I would often get envelopes marked “hamburger money”.

My Daddy could not stand to see anyone suffer. He was caring and compassionate.
I will never forget my husband coming to report back to me after announcing to a waiting room full of family and friends that our first baby had arrived. He told me everyone was anxious to see her. But he also told me that the first thing my Daddy asked was how I was. In a time when all of the attention shifted to the new baby, my Daddy wanted to make sure I was okay.

A few months later when I had to have a procedure done, my Daddy was the first one I saw when I woke up.

My Daddy was there through the good and the bad.

My Daddy was the best Daddy.

I am still proud to be Mr. Strickland’s daughter.

9 comments:

III said...

Tender and kind. Thanks for sharing.

The Story of Us said...

such a beautiful tribute... how blessed you were to have such an amazing dad. Thank you for sharing!

Lori said...

It sounds like your dad really knew how to love people - and I'm pretty sure he passed that on to you!!

Cathy Lewis said...

WOW, to have a Daddy like that is a most wonderful treasure...not many people can give a tribute to their Daddy like that....Cherish the memories, they will get you through the very roughest times...I love ya, Em....and praying non-stop for you and your family...

Sarah said...

Love everything you said about your dad. So wonderful. He and your mother raised amazing children. He really left a legacy.

Amber said...

what a awesome testimony your daddy was, he sure was one to me! Love the way you told your story of your love for your daddy! Just amazing :)

Rachael. said...

That is so sweet.

I'm just now able to start saying a lot of that about my dad. Grateful that I am able to at least begin!

Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Emily...your dad was a quiet giant...no reference to his physical, but to his heart size. Truly, your daddy was always there in the background making sure his children we always out front. Daddy memories are so special and you need to hang on the them forever. Praying for your famiy. Call us if you need anything. Love you em

Phyllis said...

(the post above is from me...Mrs. P)