Saturday, June 5, 2010

FAME!

We are fascinated with famous people aren't we? Of course, nowadays there are so many reasons a person could be famous. And they are not all good. I remember when the first "Real World" came on MTV. Do you? I wasn't allowed to watch it, but still it came into existence right smack dab in the middle of my adolescence. I will be the first to admit that reality TV sucks me in right along with the rest of the population. The thing about reality shows and the huge crop of "famous" people it has created is that it seems to take away from the whole idea of being famous. Don't you think? I often wonder if we will have icons in the future the way we've had them in the past. I'm sure you could name some actors, athletes or musicians who you feel will fall into that category. Have you ever met a famous person?

Let me tell you my claim to fame. First, I met Crystal Bernard (she used to be on the show "Wings") and her boyfriend Billy Dean (the country singer) at a gas station in Apalachicola, Fl. Okay, I didn't technically meet them. My friends and I whispered about them once we got outside and figured out that was who it was. They were really nice. She was super tiny. They just looked like a normal couple. My next claim to fame  happened the summer before my senior year of high school. I was a junior counselor at a girl's summer camp, Camp Riverview. We got a night off every week to leave the camp and go out on the town. It often included a trip to the laundromat. Only college girls were allowed to bring their cars so us lowly JC's had to depend on the kindness of the older girls. I thought it was pretty awesome to get to spend my nights with the college girls. Well, one night we went to the house of one of the other counselors. She just happened to live in Fort Payne, Al. which was the nearest town. It also just happens to be the home of the country group, Alabama. Not only is Fort Payne their home, but the counselor we went home with actually lived in one of the group member's former houses! It was so cool. It still had a recording studio in it. Lots of famous artists had signed one of the walls. The only one I can remember is George Clinton. I guess he stood out because it was pretty funny to imagine him hanging out in Fort Payne, Al. with a fiddle. :) That was as close as I got to the famous group. I drove my sister crazy for months after that. Every single time one of their songs came on the radio I would say, "Hey! Did I tell you that I went to the house of one of the Alabama people?" Yeah, she was pretty over that story.

Well, today I had another brush with fame. You see, I just happened to attend high school with NFL player, Will Witherspoon. He was a year ahead of me and while we worked on some Leadership stuff together I wouldn't say that we were BFF's. Okay, honestly, I doubt he ever even knew who I was. I was not the kind of girl boys noticed. Well, today I was in line at K-Mart checking out and guess who was in front of me? Yep, Will Witherspoon, or "Spoon" as he is known around these parts. He was with his friend, Justin, who I also went to school with and Justin immediately started waving at me and saying hi. Poor Spoon. I know he had no idea who I was, but felt like he should since Justin did. Did that make any sense? He started asking me how I was and then I just broke the ice for him and told him who I was and that I'm married to Josh. They played little league together. I have to say, when we first moved to Mississippi Josh preached at a different church every Sunday and Wed. and there were so many people who would remember us, but I would have no idea who they were. So, I did not want to inflict the social awkwardness on him that I so often endured. I'm sure if he recognized me at all it was from seeing me with my gorgeous friends, Brandi and Pao. I should have told him I was the girl who was always with Brandi and Pao. :) Anyway, he was so super sweet and told me he was running errands for Mrs. Gorman, who used to be our leadership teacher. One of the football coaches at our high school (Coach Rivers for you RAMS who might care) is retiring and he is helping with the festivities. Isn't that awesome? I must say, I am not a football fan (I had to google him to see which team he is playing for now) but I know that so many times when I hear news about athletes it is them getting in trouble. I felt really proud that our hometown boy has been such a success and is still such a great, down to earth person. One of my favorite football season memories is a road trip we took to a championship game. For some reason his Mom was riding with the band and when we stopped at a rest area she stood on top of a planter and led the whole group in a cheer. I can't imagine how proud that boy has made his Mama!

After our little exchange I realized I should have gotten him to sign my K-Mart receipt. I would sure enough put that sucker on E-bay!! But, I was trying to be cool. You know me, Ms. Cool herself. :) Luckily I was just buying an apple corer and diswashing detergent. But you know, sure as I asked for an autograph, I would be standing there with hemmoroid cream or feminine hygiene products. Glad I played it cool.  :)

Have you had any close encounters with fame?

3 comments:

Karen said...

I swear I saw Bret Farve in Wal-Mart last year. Thought "it couldn't be him," but found out later that he was in town that weekend, so I'm claiming that. No conversations though...(why is it that we keep running into sports people? we are the most non-sports people I know...)

Becky Rivett said...

hmmm...lets see...met tommy hilfigers daughter when i worked in a liquor store, she had a fake id. lol. met a rapper, Tweet, working in a gas station...also bobby bowden in a gas station as well. think that may be it.

Anonymous said...

I went into a healthy smoothie place in Malibu with a friend of mine and I was standing in line right beside Jeremy Piven (Mad Men, Serendipity) I had to google him too. I had no idea who he was until she pointed it out to me. Anyways, he was very kind to me since I was 9 months pregnant at the time. I didn't get an autograph, but I jokingly told my husband that he kissed my pregnant belly. That got a good laugh!!