Friday, June 4, 2010

Friday Free For All

I have no idea what may be discussed in this blog. Consider this fair warning....

I hope you all had a wonderful Memorial Day. Ours was good. I realized on that day that while I knew Josh and I stink at planning, it's worse than I realized. We literally spent about 4 hours of the day saying, "Well, what do you want to do?" "I don't know, what do you want to do?" We then bounced around several ideas while we continued to sit around and do nothing. It just seemed wrong to not go to the beach on such a beautiful day, but we weren't really in the mood for that. We would have cooked out for friends and family but the last time we did that Josh about set the grill on fire. Actually, I think he really did. One of the guys from church came by to check it out and we learned what the problem was and that it actually wasn't Josh's fault. He didn't start the fire....Okay, sorry, couldn't resist. Anyway, we ended up going out to eat pizza with my Mom and brother and playing some arcade games. This was my favorite pic. I'm calling it "Dating 101".



When we left the pizza place the kids rode with my Mom and Phil. As we were on our way back to my Mom's house she called and said, "If y'all have anything you need to do the kids are fine with me." Do other Moms of little kids understand that that translates, "FREEDOM!" We didn't have anything we needed to do but I assured her we could find something! :)  We headed out to Pier Park to see a movie. By ourselves. On a Monday night. Y'all, we've been on two dates (by ourselves) this month! That is normally like our yearly quota! We don't know what to do with ourselves. I even got to go to the "As Seen on TV" store. You would not believe the amount of personal restraint I showed. I also noticed a lot of legs while we were at Pier Park. I miss my legs, y'all. My pre-baby, skinny, toned, non-stretch mark, cellulite and varicose vein covered legs. Oh well. I guess it is best. I don't think preacher's wives can really pull off the booty shorts anyway. I think it is better for everyone this way. :)

Tuesday night Josh's parents invited us to go out to eat with them without any kids. Just grown ups. I know y'all. Two nights in a row! I honestly can't think of a time when we've gotten to do that with his parents. We were excited to participate in dinner conversations that did not include, "I said sit down!" or "Yes, you do have to eat your peas." You will be glad to know I did not have to get on to his parents once. :)  It was really funny though. Pulling into the parking lot of the restaurant a lady cut us off. She was in a hurry and Josh's Dad said he thought she worked at the restaurant and  she was running late. T (Josh's Mom) remarked that she hoped she wasn't our waitress. Guess who turned out to be our waitress!!!!! We had lots of fun.Sarah took this pic of me that night and I thought I would show you my official summer hair do. I call it the "I Give Up" look. It is also known as the "Ocean breezes are great, but not for my hair" style or the "AC is out in the Jeep, gotta roll the windows down" look.  To achieve this look follow these steps:
1. Just stop caring. At all.
2. Put in a headband.
3. Put remaining hair in a ponytail. You can even switch it up and use a clip too.

If you see me in the next 4 or so months, odds are good this is how my hair will look. Trust me. It is best this way.

Wednesday we had a fun playdate with Audra and her crew. She has talked so much about how good our kids play together and I had to tell her that I thought the honeymoon was over. Kate showed her hiney not wanting to share and HITTING Audra's oldest. Oh.My.Word. Audra folded clothes while we visited and I have to say, I love having a friend who will fold their underwear in front of me. I'm totally being serious. I love having those people in life that you can just be real with. Know what I mean?

That night we had our VBS registration party. The church rented a HUGE inflatable water slide and we the kids couldn't wait to get on it! We had hot dogs and cake and cookies and popciscles. It was a kid's dream night.

I had the job of registering the kids which entailed going to them, in line, asking their info. Definitely decided we need to do all of that BEFORE they get in line for the slide! It was so much fun. Yes, I did slide. After everybody left. I went down three times. The last time I *had* to go down because Kate just liked to climb to the top and jump, but not slide down. Y'know, I had to get her. :)  I looked up after the last time I came down and realized there were several of our older church members wathcing through the fellowship hall window. I can just imagine them thinking (as Josh also slid down), "Yes, these are the people we brought here to lead and guide us in our spiritual journey." They must feel so confident. :)

This was my favorite shot of the night. Josh is planning to create a church website and I think this picture should be front and center.

HIGHLAND VIEW BAPTIST:
We will feed your kids hot dogs on top of the air conditioning unit

What do you think? Are you maybe thinking, 'You might be a redneck if...." Yeah, me too.

Josh and I were totally planning to sneak back over and slide after the kids went to bed, but our VBS director made us unplug so the kids couldn't come back when nobody was there. Responsible, conscientious adults just ruin all of the fun don't they????? :)

Before you think that I've spent my whole week acting like a 10 year old, be assured I have felt plenty old. I bought wrinkle cream and we started looking at mini-vans. I told Josh I don't know if I can handle buying a mini-van and turning 30 in the same year.  We are also like 99.4% sure that Daisy is pregnant which means I will be  a grandmother any day. Or month? Who knows. I am so completely traumatized by this recent turn of events I can't even talk about it. Dance camp will be starting in a little over a month and I have got to whip this body into shape enough to handle 8 hour dance days. Yes, I said 8 hours. Did I mention I went for a walk yesterday and today my back felt broken? This is for real, y'all. This is no longer just about looking good in a pair of jeans (although, that would still be nice). This is about me being able to do my job without having to call an ambulance at the end of the day. I'm trying to talk Josh into buying me a treadmill and letting me turn the playroom into a home gym. Because, I'm pretty sure I would totallly, finally actually use the other exercise videos and equipment I already have. And NOT to hang clothes on. I'll keep you posted. :)

Here's what I need to know:

1. Do any of you have a favorite wrinkle cream, especially for eyes?
2. What do you know about mini-vans? Do any of you have one that you LOVE and that makes you feel totally cool?
3. What is your favorite thing to do that makes you feel like a kid again??

4 comments:

Karen said...

(1) Don't know, but if you find a good one let me know.

(2) Not at that point, so I can't help ya.

(3) Coloring and Bubbles!!

BTW - You hair looks fine. I will refrain from posting a picture of my hair yesterday - we don't even have ocean breezes to blame it on, just 400 degree heat and 5000% humidity... it's supposed to get really hot next week - yay.

Home: Inside and Out said...

1)The hair is gorgeous...you look great.
2)I shopped minivans and settled on a Chevy Suburban instead. Nothing against the minivan, I actually wanted one. But I really am glad I listened to my husband nag, I mean convince, me to get what we did. I love the space we have in the back on a trip.
3)My mom has a treadmill for sale that's in great shape, and not that I think you need it (see comment one...YOU LOOK GREAT) but if you are getting one for your home for more convenience, as I'm sure there aren't many gyms down the road (haha) it is for sale. Just send me a FB message if you want details.
4)Love the blog, keep it up!

Cindi Dailey said...

Love it!

1) don't do wrinkle cream

2) we have a 1999 dodge caravan that we love. its 10 yrs old and has 150,000 and is still going strong. The A/C is out in it though, so its like driving an oven. Dave drives it now...its turned into a fishing van.

3) jamming to 80's music. before i totaled my Honda Accord, driving w/sunroof open and jamming to 80's music loud enough to deafen me :)

BTW - I agree with Karen. Your hair looks fine. Mine is usually up in a pony tail tooo...especially in the summer. My hair does not like humidity one bit. Turns into a big curly puff ball.

Lori said...

1) I don't do wrinkle cream but I should. Instead, I just stay out in the sun as much as possible - that way it appears to be sun damage and not my age. Also, wrinkles are like fat (I think) - they always look better tan!

2) One of my best friends drives a Honda Odyssey (sp?) and I think she's really cool. It is a great van!

3) I love tetherball - every time I find one, I'm so thrilled!! They are kind of hard to find. I'm trying to talk Ben into getting one for Jack. That's just what every 3 year old needs, right? A rope with a ball on the end of it all tied to a metal pole:)