Friday, June 25, 2010

Our Colorful Day

On Wednesday the kids and I were invited to join Audra and her gang and another friend for a day of painting. To say my children were excited would be the understatement of the century. Honestly, I should know better than to tell my kids about anything until we are out the door. Of course, that would leave my life so void of "Is it time to go yet? When are we going? Is it time now?"

After Audra's crew came in to check out the puppies (they are getting so big and Monkey opened his eyes today!) we loaded up. Sarah went with Audra and Jon Michael joined me and Eli. That was a fun drive. I'm so used to girls. In Mississippi Eli was constantly surrounded by girls. I enjoyed getting to hear a boy conversation. Eli told JM he wants to be an exterminator. They discussed their weight. Eli weighs 40 pounds and JM weighs 50. Eli told JM, "You must be working out." I love it. Girls would NEVER discuss their weight. As we drove through the air force base the boys were unable to contain their excitement over the jets flying overhead. The paper mill sparked their interest too, and they wanted to know what the smoke was. I did my best to explain and really wished Josh was there. He is very good at explaining things like that. I, however, am not. They decided the smoke is how clouds are made. It was a A-ha moment in their little lives and I didn't have the heart to explain that it was actually polluting our air. Oh well.

We piled into the pottery place and took in the sights. Every color paint imaginable. The bathroom. (I always have to find the bathroom. I'm seriously lilke an 80 year old woman.) We just thought this place was cool and then she showed us....the other room! That would be a room FULL of pottery. You could paint a bowl or an indian. A snowman or a spoon rest. Whatever your little heart desires. I was the last person out of the room. Those who know me will probably not be shocked to hear that it was a little hard for me to make a decision. :)

It was so much fun and really relaxing to paint our pieces. As relaxing as any activity can be that invovles, paint, breakable stuff and 6 kids under the age of 7.

Audra with her sweet kids.

Eli working on his car

This is the exact same face Josh makes when he is working on something. :)

Sarah and Jolenn working on the VERY pink fairy. I love that Sarah got her red lipstick right off the bat. She is a true Southern girl. :)

Best Buds!

There were a few other people who came in while we were working and the lady in charge got a little overwhelmed. She started making faces at me and I thought she was implying that we were getting on her nerves. I wish I had a video of the conversation we had with our eyes. You know what I'm talking about. She made a face, I made a face back. Normally, I just smile and nod when I am at a loss. In this case, I got so totally confused as to what the heck we were "talking" about that I finally just shrugged my shoulders and said, "Sorry?" As in, what in the world is going on? She took me in the next room over and confided that one of the guys who came in is always there and he drives her crazy. I'm telling you, complete strangers always feel the need to tell me their issues. Anyway, that guy was getting on my nerves too. He was painting a Santa statue blue and black. First, why was he painting a Santa in June??? Second, I'm sorry, but Santa is not supposed to be black and blue. I mean, I like to think of myself as someone who thinks "outside the box", but really, I can't handle a blue and black Santa. Which led me to consider, why is Santa red and white? I mean, if he's trying to be all sneaky, isn't red the WORST color he could pick? Was he trying to color coordinate with Rudolph? Because I could totally get that. Okay, so by the time my brain started questioning Santa's fashion choices we were two hours past lunch and I think my blood sugar may have been a little low.

Poor Audra was in the middle of a glazing crisis and the kids were DONE. With their masterpieces and the whole experience.


So, I offered to take them to eat while Audra  finished. At first I felt bad leaving her, but then I remembered that my greatest dream in life is for someone to takes my kids and let me be alone. :)

We headed for Chick-Fil-A where lots of chicken nuggets were eaten and silly pictures taken.



This is Photography by Jolenn. :)

This one too....

It was a great day and I look forward to going back. Not to ruin the surprise for anyone, but all of our family members are getting pottery and puppies for Christmas. :)

1 comment:

Melody said...

How fun!!!! I haven't found a good pottery place yet in NC. I'm so glad ya'll had a great time.