Monday, June 7, 2010

I Need A Chill Pill

Do you ever have one of those days when there just isn't a right side of the bed to wake up on? I do believe today is my day. I was feeling bad last night and Sarah had a friend sleeping over and I was so grumpy. G.R.U.M.P.Y.  I hate being that way when she has friends over because I so much want to be the cool, fun Mom. I'm not, by the way. Anyway, I was determined that after I got some sleep I would wake up ready to take on the world. And I would be happy about it. I even made a list of my plans for today and my goals for the week. They were short lists, but still....

I woke up with a fury. I set to work trying to cross off my chores. In case you've never attempted a chore list with little people undoing things as you do them, it stinks. There, I said it. And I always end up extra grumpy when my kids have friends over because they push that much harder. They seem to think I won't notice the things they are not supposed to be doing if a friend is there. Makes me mad.

It was while I was in the kitchen fuming cleaning that Josh came in to give me a hug. I think he does that sometimes to physically restrain me. I began to rant about the disaster our house was and how the kids weren't listening to me, and they were taking food in rooms they weren't supposed to, and they don't read enough books and they watch too much TV and they need to eat more fruits and veggies.....the rant went on. I then spotted our pregnant dog under the dining room table sprawled out. So I continued to rant, "And our dog is pregnant! We are practically a Dr. Phil family!!!"

 I practiced some lamaze breathing (that never worked for me in labor by the way. Did it work for anybody else?), Josh headed to the church and the kids cleaned up Sarah's room. I finished the kitchen and we headed to the park. So they could play and I could walk. Sarah's friend went  home and we headed home to have lunch. Chicken nuggets, broccoli, and grapes and strawberries. After lunch Eli helped me fold some clothes and now they are all laying down for a nap before Vacation Bible School tonight. (Yes, I will be teaching the 3-5 year olds. Please pray the grumpiness stays gone. I'm going to need a whole bottle of chill pills if not. :) 

I share all of this 1. Because I am straight up venting. 2. Because I really want to know what you do when you feel all kinds of grumpy to get over it. 3. To remind myself that ,with the exception of my attitude, today has been a good day. I have good kids and a good husband and I would like my house to be cleaner but I don't think it will be condemned anytime soon. My kids ate both vegetables AND fruit for lunch. We are gonna make it y'all. I'm pretty sure of it.  I just have to take it one day at a time. Which reminds me of a verse.

Matthew 6:34 says, "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."  Jesus didn't tell us not to worry because everything would always be okay. He just reminded us to take it one day at a time. Because let's face it, it's really all we can handle!!!!

5 comments:

patty said...

Enjoy the frustrations of the small people, because as they get bigger so do the frustrations! I totally understand your pain....and I simply take my hormones every day to keep from doing bodily harm to anyone in my way. Since you're too young for those, you'll just have to eat a little more chocolate and breather a little deeper!

Unknown said...

thank you for sharing your venting. i don't have kids and i often feel the same lack of control. when i am grumpy, i try to remind myself that i am lucky to have "x" problem (e.g., arguing with richard) because at least i have a husband to argue with. i try to put a positive spin to the negativity. but to be honest with you, sometimes in the heat of the moment, it's hard to remind myself. sometimes i just let myself feel grumpy and then try to quickly get over it. i also tell myself that there are people much worse off and then it is hard for me to stay grumpy. love you em and love that you are able to share so openly. even though i'm not a preacher's wife or do not have 3 kids and a pregnant dog, i somehow can really relate to your writings. so thank you.

Lori said...

Yep, one day at a time!! That's the only way I can do it. I'm actually kind of grumpy by nature :) so if things aren't going well - watch out!!

I also left you a message on your post a few back. I told myself I was only going to comment on your last one but I just couldn't help myself:)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one facing the grumpy days. I like what you said about your day being good, with the exception of the grumpiness. I feel that way too...things are wonderful, but my attitude can still stink.

Oh and I love that you gave them fruits AND veggies at lunch...that made me laugh. :)

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you. I think the best thing to do when you are grumpy is to get some alone time. I like to scrapbook it's cheaper than therapy. I know that alone time is hard to come by with little kids around, but maybe the hubby needs to take the kids to the park once in a while and leave you home. :) Nora