Wednesday, June 9, 2010

My "Little" Brother

Today is a special day in our family. It is the birthday of my favorite brother, Philip. He's known as Uncle Phil around our house now. I just couldn't let this day pass without letting you all know what a treasure he is.

 I was seven when he was born and I couldn't have been more excited if my parents had bought me a new bike. I'm not even kidding. I turned 3, three days after my sister was born so obviously, I don't remember that experience. But, at age seven, I was fully prepared to raise Phil myself. I was insanely jealous of other people paying attention to him, NOT because they weren't paying attention to me, but because he was MY baby and I preferred to have him all to myself.

Well, I did  a good job raising him, y'all. :)  I am totally kidding. I didn't have a thing to do with raising him. In fact, one of my biggest regrets is that as a teenager I only dropped by the house to take naps and get clothes so I feel like I missed out on a lot of him growing up. He started his freshman year of high school the year Josh and I got married. I feel like God has redeemed some of that time this year. We had the unfortunate bonding time of losing our Dad and while it was a terrible reason to spend time together, it was an occassion that grew a whole new respect in me for Phil. I stood amazed at the strength and maturity he showed in stepping into the position as head of our family well before he should've experienced that responsibilty.

It has also been a joy to spend some holidays and birthday parties with him since our move. He got to be the cool uncle at Eli's pirate party and he even came back to our house to help Eli put all of his legos together. I knew that I had lost my big sister authority the first time I saw the Legos strewed out in a million pieces and I thought, 'Oh no! Phil is going to get on to us for not keeping them together!' :) An added bonus this year was our little adventure to Georgia for the birth of Miss Lyla. We didn't know until the last minute that he was going and man is it a good thing he went!! Me and Mama would probably still be out on the side of I-10 taking pictures of armadillos and trying to figure out what the heck to do. I had so looked foward to my one on one time with my nephew, Luke, but what a blessing that I got to hang out with Luke and Phil! He chauffered me all over the countryside to Wal-Mart and the country grocery store. I'm pretty sure we will never forget that trip!

Philip has just blown me away with how he has stepped up to take care of my Mama. Little Philsy baby has really become a man and it has nothing to do with the numbers on his birth certificate. It has everything to do with the responsibility, thoughtfulness, and strength he has shown.

Phil, I just want you to know, you still make me and Jenny smile that big! Love you! Happy Birthday!


1 comment:

Amber said...

Emily that was so sweet, that made me tear up at work :) Phillip has grown to be such an awesome MAN :) He is lucky too, to have two amazing sisters :)