Friday, July 22, 2011

What Revival Looks Like

I have a question for those of you raised in church. What feelings, thoughts, or memories do revival services bring up for you? I'm just curious because we had our revival services this last week and I realized that it was totally different than any other revival I've experienced. I've heard people say they expect to cry a lot, or to sing a lot. If I can be completely honest, since going into ministry when I think of revival I think of cooking a lot. Growing up I never knew that different people feed the preacher and other special guests every night. And now, I wonder who will keep the nursery. Because those are extra nights that we don't have regular workers signed up. So, basically, what I'm saying is that going into revival, I was anticipating extra work. There, I admit it. I'm just being honest. And, I wasn't dreading it, but I had a moment when I decided this wouldn't be a spiritual time for me, just a time to cook and keep the nursery. That's a great start, right? To just decide from the get go that revival wouldn't be a spiritual time.

The truth is I did do some cooking. But, there were also many other church members who chipped in and did some cooking as well. And, I didn't have to keep the nursery one time, although I did sit on a pew with 13 kids one night. But, I LOVED it. Seriously. I feel like God really did a work on my heart and taught me that serving Him, even if it is washing the dishes or showing kiddos where to turn in the hymnal, is in fact a very spiritual time.

The greatest thing about this revival for me, was that our pastor preached it. Our pastor who married us. Our pastor who ordained Josh. Our pastor who dedicated two of our children and our pastor who comforted me at the hospital while I waited for news about my Daddy. We have a history and when I think of people who have influenced Josh and I the most, he and his wife are high on the list. Not only did we have OUR pastor, but quite a few of our "church family" from P.C. were able to attend. Josh's grandma and two of her friends. Their music minister and his wife. Josh's dad and our friend, Scott, who is so close we call him "Uncle Scott".  Our friends Dave and Cindi even surprised us with a visit and we enjoyed talking late into the night with them. They have just started a new church plant and there is just something about being able to share with other ministry friends who understand your joys and your sorrows.

Bro. Randy preached sermons that challenged me and then these special people encouraged me. Just their presence. Just the Spirit within them. Wednesday I drove Sarah around and she passed out fliers for the kids night. We ended up having 25 kids and almost all of them were kids she invited. We even had 3 from theater class come and parents as well. There was just an excitement in the air. Kids bring that!

This last week was physically busy. In addition to working and the church services, and the fellowship afterwards that would usually last well past bedtime, I couldn't sleep! I was just too excited. My body was tired, but my spirit was full and excited!

As I think about this week I am so thankful for words of encouragement, prayer, and friendships with those who share the same passions, burdens and callings. I am just overwhelmed by the love and the amazing influences that Josh and I have had in our lives. People who have seen us through the worst of times and the best of times. People who have played a pivotal part in the life of our ministry, even if they don't realize it. Scott  held a prayer meeting for me during my depression and 2 years later, I was healed. Dave was a faithful prayer partner for Josh and when Josh shared his calling to ministry, Dave said, "Why not now?"  And here we are. :) 

Ministry is not easy. It never has been, but especially in the times we are in now, it's hard. I don't say that in a self-pitying, woe is us kind of way. I say that in a matter of fact, that's the truth kind of way.  Pastors are not respected the way they once were. (And yes, I know many pastors have not done much to help in that.) People do not see church as important in their lives. If we're honest, most people see religion as a joke these days. It is so easy to be discouraged. To work and feel like it doesn't make a difference. To care about people and be burnt or hurt. To just become totally apathetic and lazy. But then, there are those moments. The moments when you see a glimmer of hope, a sliver of a chance that change is coming. And it is enough to keep you going just a little bit longer.

I am taking the words of 2 Samuel 30:6 to heart and I will be like David who "strengthened himself in the LORD his God."

And thanks to some sweet fellowship I will keep going.




“Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow.”


Mary Anne Radmacher

2 comments:

Kristy said...

Great post! Isn't it wonderful what God sometimes does with our human expectations? Sounds like He sent you some much needed encouragement. "And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not." Galatians 6:9 And sometimes we get to reap just a little bit of that in the here and now! :)

Amber said...

man I wish we could have been there, how special is it that you had all of those very special people in your life there!! We serve an amazing God!!! All of those who you mentioned are very special to us as well along with Josh and YOU!!!! Love ya!!