Monday, July 18, 2011

Kate From Kansas

Sometimes, the coolest things happen. Like, you start writing a blog just for the fun of it and 3 people read it. It goes from being fun, to being a journal of your everyday life, and then eventually becomes your therapy. And for some reason, other people read it. I figure they are either really bored or my crazy life makes them feel highly superior. I get that.  Then, somehow, 5 years later, you get the chance to meet someone who only knows you through that blog. And you are reminded that you serve a God who orchestrates lives and relationships in very intricate ways.

You may remember from another post that I told you about a girl named Kate. Kate used to take dance from the other teacher I work with Barbie, and she found my blog through our dance studio page on Facebook. We began e-mailing and then texting and now, I totally feel like she is part of our family. The thing is, we had never actually met in real life. Well, last week, we had that opportunity. Kate came down to Florida to visit her former dance teacher and I rescued her from 3 hours of hip hop by inviting her to hang out at our house last Thursday. I was a little nervous. This is the second time I've been able to meet someone who reads my blog and it is really nerve-wracking. Especially since she was coming to my house, meeting my family, seeing my world. I was sure our real life would be a huge disappointment. I'm not sure why I felt that way. Let's face it, it's not like I give y'all the Ladie's Home Journal version of my life by any means. But still, we're pretty boring.

She got to our house and I immediately hugged her. Because I'm a hugger. You can ask our church people. They try to shake my hand but I always hug them. It's just what I do. She had literally been in our house all of 5 minutes when my kids busted out the dance recital video for her to watch. Fabulous. If only we had some home video of a camping trip or something else as equally exciting. :) It was cool though. It was just like we've all known her forever. My kids adored her. She sat at the dining room table and drew pictures with them while I fixed supper and in that moment I decided I need her to move in with  me and be my nanny.

She came to church with us on Sunday and then spent the afternoon playing Barbie's with my kids (I feel I should add here that Eli played with Lego men) and watching movies in the playroom. I officially decided then that she needs to become my Nanny and began to tell her that if she moved in with us this year (she's about to be a junior in high school) that she will be eligible for in-state tuition when it's time for college. She wants to go to a Florida school so I just think it is the perfect plan. :)

Sadly, Kate from Kansas had to go home today and it was an emotional time. My Kate started crying her eyes out this morning and said, "Mrs. Barbie's Kate had to go to her house and I wanted to see her!" Then she told me tonight that she wanted the other Kate to go to church with us again tonight. Those two have a connection, for sure.

Tonight at our revival service the preacher talked about how God used ordinary people and ordinary things to do the extraordinary. I know that I am extremely ordinary. My life is as routine and run of the mill as they come. I still have no idea what caused Kate to follow my blog or want to meet me. I just know that our connection is extraordinary and the kind that only God can create. She has spoken sweet words of encouragement to my soul many times. She has sought my advice and allowed me to pretend to be wise. :)  I look at her and see myself 15 years ago and pray that God will use me to help her deal with growing pains and boys. Mostly, she teaches me and helps me. So, she's gonna be WAY smart by the time she is my age. :)

                                       She is also a superstar dancer and has awesome hair. :)

1 comment:

Michelle Sims said...

Emily...you are so precious! I hope you realize that! I love your blog!!!