Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Fidler Five Do Fireworks on the Fourth

Yesterday we had plans to go to the beach. We didn't. Instead, Eli decided to crawl up on the couch with me and watch a Cake Boss marathon. He loves that show. I loved that he wanted to lay next to me and let me scratch his head. Best.holiday.ever. Josh had planned to grill some fish he had caught and I was real excited about that. He marinates the fish in Italian dressing and then wraps it in bacon. Yum! I thought we were just going to do a couple of easy sides, but after the Cake Boss marathon Josh felt inspired to make a cake he had seen online. He ran to the store. He came back with stuff to make fried green tomatoes, home fries, and onion rings. And a cake. I've obviously fallen off the wagon with my diet this weekend. We got busy chopping onions, slicing potatoes, and mixing cake batter. It was all delicious and I was way impressed with how Josh's cake turned out. My responsibilities for the cake included getting the cakes out of the oven when they were done and putting the blue food  coloring in. My cake turned out green. At least on the outside. We were relieved that it was blue inside. Here is Josh's creation. He's so much more domesticated than  me.


Despite the fact that the fireworks weren't starting until 9:30 here and we had pretty much done nothing all day, we still managed to leave late. We found a spot just a little bit down from where we were last year, but it wasn't on the rocks. Sarah was so put out. I was a little relieved because as pretty as our spot was last year, I was a nervous wreck with 3 kids on rocks by the water!  We got there late enough to not get the right spot, but early enough for our kids to be bored out of their minds. I got this picture....

It went downhill from there. Sarah was still upset we didn't get the special spot and she did not want pictures taken. Here's Eli trying to  make her smile.

Then, I guess he gave up.


The kids kept telling us how bored they were and telling me about the kids on the other side of us who had really cool toys and glow sticks. So, I busted out the games. "I Spy". "Patty Cake". I'm pretty much the coolest mom ever. ;)
Here's the conversation heard on the Fidler blanket:
"I'm bored."
"The bugs are itching me."
"When is it gonna start?"
"I'm bored."
"I"M ITCHING!"
"I'm thirsty. Can we leave and go get a drink."
*Fireworks start
"When are they going to be over?"
"The bugs!!!!!!"
"I think they're over.'
"I can't find my shoes."
"I think they're going to last all night."

Finally, it is time to leave. As we drive over the bridge to go home we see more fireworks and Eli says, "This is the best day of my life!" And I think, 'Me, too!'

No comments: