Monday, July 12, 2010

Justin Bieber Saved the Day

I got up before the sun this morning. Doesn't that just seem wrong? It just doesn't seem natural to be up before natural light. There should be rules against it. Anyway, I was grateful it was still dark as it was time to squeeze into a leotard and take my daughter to work. Some things are done best in the dark. Like squeezing into leotards.

Unfortunately, Eli had been up most of the night with a stomach bug. Yuck. I feel so bad for him and I cannot tell you how scared I was that Sarah or I might come down with it. So far, it seems to just be something he ate. Nevertheless, we woke up with puking. On Monday morning. In a leotard. Me, not Eli. Suprisingly, I handled it fine. Either my hormones went on vacation until next month, or that St. John's Wort REALLY works. I so hated leaving my sick baby, but thankfully Josh was already planning to work from home this week and keep the babies.

Sarah and I loaded up her lunch and our bags full of things like shoes, bobby pins, and nail clippers. Being the first day of dance camp there was a lady coming from a local dance store to fit all of the girls in their first ballet shoes, leotards and tights. My boss lady and myself would be putting 20 heads of fine, little girl hair into buns. That reality set in as I attempted to pin Sarah's THICK, layered, not really long enough hair into a bun. I remembered I stink at it. There was a reason my hair stayed long and I had no bangs during my dancing days.  Well, about 15 girls later, I got better. :) And, after I had done about 15 buns a hairstylist showed up to do buns. So, luckily some of the girls got to have their buns redone and actually look like ballerinas. The ones stuck with my buns were walking around 3 hours later with ponytails that had hair nets hanging off of them. Oh well. I tried.

There was also a professional photographer that came to take the girl's pics in their new ballet gear. We set up an assembly line of bunning, fitting, dressing, photographing and containing.


Once the girls were dressed they were sent to me to watch dance videos while they waited to have their picture taken. I think the girls on the left are discussing the one girl's bun. I imagine the conversation was like this: "What is up with your hair?" "I don't know, that Mrs. Emily lady did it."  "Oh."
Once they were properly dressed it was hard for them to sit still. They were desparate to dance!

Once pictures were done the girls dressed up in old dance costumes just for the fun of it. We were still waiting for the photographer to move all of his equipment out of the dance room, so I decided we would crank up some Hannah Montana and do a fashion show in the hallway. I noticed the photographer moved faster once that music started playing. :)

First, I had to demonstrate how they were supposed to strut down the hallway. Thankfully, I had the camera so there are no pictures of that.
But those girls know how to work it!!


Sarah giving me the "don't take a picture of me" look. For some reason I don't embarrass her yet. I'm sure it's coming.

After the fashion show I had about 30 minutes before the tumbling teacher would be there. We decided to squeeze in some ballet. Y'know, since it was dance camp and all. I will be working with a teacher who has a million years experience (and yet totally looks younger than me somehow) and knows what she is doing. For the rest of the week she will have the 11 older girls. But today, she was out of town, so I had them ALL. I like to call what happened next "The Waltz of Chaos". I'll just leave it at that. I cannot even tell you how much I am anticipating Mrs. Barbie's arrival at dance camp. Yes, I'm working with a teacher named Barbie. And yes, she totally looks like ballerina Barbie. I want to be her when I grow up.

I forgot to mention that while we were waiting for pics I had a couple of girls break out in song to demonstrate their favorites. That's why I love 6 year olds. You will very rarely find an adult who will sing an entire song for you upon first meeting them. Except those people on American Idol. Anyway, one of the girls sang Justin Bieber's song "Baby" and that was one of the songs that had messed up and not downloaded. So, when I went home for lunch I told Josh I HAD to have that song. I did NOT label it a crisis, I just wanted to try again. So, after feeding my munchkins, scarfing down my Lean Cuisine panini (I heart those things!) and getting me a new CD, I headed back for the 3 hour time slot I needed to fill with dance. And it needed to be fun. They were fading fast.

We started out with tap and some of the girls were so excited they couldn't stand it. Some were so thrilled they threw themselves on the mats and refused to get up. Y'all I am not kidding, I put on some Justin Bieber and every girl in there was dancing AND singing! It felt like a High School Musical moment or something. Lots of fun.

We finished the day with jazz and I had been very concerned that the dance I choreographed for Friday's showcase for the parents was going to be too much for my 5 and 6 year olds. Well, I asked the older girls to pair up with a younger one and work on the moves and they LOVED it! They kept asking to do it. I think they mostly loved the song and it is the one that I did have the crisis moment over, so see, it worked out. :)

I won't lie. I feel old, out of shape and way out of my league. And yet somehow, I felt right in my element. I probably had more fun than anybody and I definitely got my cardio in! Let's hope I can walk tomorrow!

P.S. There is a new blogger wannabe in this house. Watch out....there is no telling what story you may hear next.....

No comments: