Monday, October 18, 2010

Party Like It's 1999

I haven't decided yet if blogging is a help or a hinderance to my social life. Obviously I've met some terrific people through blogging. I've been able to better maintain long distance friendships. I've quite possibly even stayed a tad bit socially relevant by stalking other's blogs and finding out the latest trends. :) And yet, just this weekend it occurred to me that perhaps I should be thankful that I have any friends left at all. You see, I was at a party and one of our hosts for the night commented, "Emily will go home and write a long post about this." And it hit me that it takes a brave person to be my friend, knowing that at any given moment your creative acting out of "foot fungus" or "shake and bake" during a game of charades could end up on my blog. So, I salute those of you who have the courage to partake in social gatherings with me. You are brave, brave people. :)

This particular social gathering I am referring to tonight was actually a birthday party. But not just any birthday party. A joint birthday party of sorts. Back around my birthday my friend, Philip, suggested that since several of us from high school would be turning 30 this year we should celebrate together. I don't know about y'all, but I personally am up for any excuse to dress up and eat cake. :) Our friends, Heather and Nate, who were also high school sweethearts like Josh and myself, offered to host the party in their home and invited a few more people, who just happened to be friends of ours from our home church, Rob and Jessica. It is such a small world. They just happened to be playing host to Josh G.(who is married to my real life friend and blogging buddy, Amber) who was visiting from Mississippi. The world got smaller. :)  It was like the FB box of mutual friends came to life in Nate and Heather's living room.

We ended up taking our kids and that made the night quite interesting. Nate and Heather spent a good deal of time printing off coloring pages and digging out DVDs to keep them entertained. Luckily, college football was keeping everyone else entertained. This was my 2nd weekend in a row to be with a hardcore Bama fan and I just couldn't take it if they lost again. I would get a complex. We also had a hardcore Ole Miss fan and that made things interesting. It was especially fun discussing their new mascot, the "Rebel Black Bear". Is it the Rebel Black Bear? Or just a black bear? I can't remember. Oh well. We all just shared a lot of relief that it wasn't the Hotty Toddy guy. For someone who is not a football fan I have spent a great deal of time talking about football the last couple of weekends. :) 

The night wasn't all about football though. Our host and hostess introduced us to a game (that I'm pretty sure Nate made up as we went along :) that involved all of us writing down words on 3 pieces of paper. It could be any person, place or thing. That proved very difficult for us all. Apparently we all need strict guidelines and boundaries. Writing "anything" was just way too vague for us. Eventually we got the idea (I think) and started the game. It had 3 rounds. The first round you could say anything to explain your card except for the words written down. The second round you had to act it out, charades style. Finally, in the 3rd round, you only got a one word clue. I have to admit that this game gave a lot of insight into everyone's minds and how they think. We ended up with some very interesting things to explain and act out. Like my preacher husband who put "transubstantiation" as one of  his words. Throw that in with some foot fungus, Charlie the Unicorn, Town House Crackers, Soulja Boy and several movie quotes that I couldn't remember right now if my life depended on it, and that was our game. Perhaps these friendships will last because my camera battery died. :)

We had a great time and my kids did surprisingly well. It is always nice when you feel like you can take them out in public. The party was a fun flashback to our senior year of high school, 1999. Well, except for the whole Nate and Heather own a home and me and Josh have 3 kids and we had to get home before we all turned into pumpkins because Josh and Philip are both pastors now and would be working their busiest day of the week that next day.  And oh yeah, we are all 30. But y'know, other than that it was totally just like high school. :)

2 comments:

Amber said...

That is so funny you were talking about that game, when Josh came home that is what he was talking about too, he had alot of fun with you all and loved playing with your kids! And I am still not quite sure we know if it is just a black bear or if it is THE rebel black bear =) Thank you also for the plug. =) ~~hugs~~

Lori said...

You better watch out b/c if you keep watching all these Bama games, you're not going to be able to resist the pull of the crimson tide!! Doesn't really matter if it's the rebel black bear or just some old bear, Jack says that Big AL beat up on him anyway:)

Glad you had a good weekend - it sounds like a blast!