Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Where Else Would I Go?

In Sunday School we read a verse that just struck something in me. It was one of those times when I treasured the fact that God's Word that touched lives 2,000 years ago still speaks the same Word to me. Jesus was talking with His disciples and many of His followers were beginning to have a tough time with His teaching. They were deciding that following Jesus wasn't exactly what they thought it would be and it just wasn't working out.  He turned to His 12 and asked, "Do you also want to go away?” (John 6:67) We aren't privy to what all of them were thinking. Perhaps one was thinking, 'It sure was easier to just be a fisherman.' Another may have considered what he was missing out on back at home. One may have even struggled with a miniscule doubt in this person they were following. If everybody else was leaving......

We don't know any of that. What we do know is how Peter responded. And I am amazed that I could utter the exact same words today that the rock the church was built on answered with. "But Simon Peter answered Him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. 69 Also we have come to believe and know that You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”

Over the last month or so I have been in an almost blissful state of being. God has filled my heart with such a peace and a purpose I hadn't felt in a long time. But not so many months ago I found myself in the position of many of the followers in this story. God was teaching me lessons in the "hands on" "real life experience" kind of way and I was over it.  I, too, found myself agreeing with the multitude in the book of John. "Therefore many of His disciples, when they heard this, said, “This is a hard saying; who can understand it?” (John 6:60). EXACTLY! That is what I was thinking. You want me to love people who have done me and my family wrong? You want me to trust You when You didn't answer my prayers to heal my Dad? I thought you said not to worry about anything because You would take care of us? Seriously, you want me to help that person when You know they got themselves in that situation?

I feel like I can admit these doubts, struggles and often times even feelings of betrayal, because at the end of the day I had to ask the same question as Peter.  It's tempting to think that life would be much easier if I wasn't a follower of Jesus. But at the end of the day I have to ask the same question. Where would I go?  I, a person who has been blessed beyond measure with a loving, caring family, who is rich in relationships and while not rich materially, very well taken care of, realizes that this world has nothing to offer me. Nothing even comes close to what Jesus has offered me.  HOPE. PEACE. TRUTH. ETERNAL SALVATION.
Jesus, sometimes it is scary to follow You. But You are the only One who truly knows the Way. Sometimes my heart is burdened with things I would never consider if I didn't follow You. But You offer to carry my burdens. You don't always answer my prayers or work things out the way I would like. But You fill me with peace and joy that only comes from You in those times. I don't always have the answers or do the right things. That is why You hung on the cross for me. The world laughs and ridicules those of us who follow what we cannot see. Or maybe I should say what they can't see. Because when the taunting and temptations of this world began to pull at me and entice me to leave You, I know exactly where I need to stay. Where else would I go? "You have the words of eternal life."

1 comment:

Lori said...

This post speaks to me in such a wonderful way!! There have been so many times in the last year when I just want to say "Forget it! I'm done!" I would never say I'm done with the Lord, but I have said I'm done with what I know He's calling me to do. But it always comes back to "Where in the world would I go?"

"Consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish that I may gain Christ." Phil. 3:8