Tuesday, October 26, 2010

I'm Not Stressed, Are You Stressed? Who's Stressed?

So, tonight we had a family meeting during supper. I informed my children that tomorrow was going to be extremely stressful. Their response: "What is stressful?' Laugh. Out. Loud. They don't even know what the word means. Oh, to be young again! :)  Eli later said, "Stressful means cleaning up."  Yes, this is what my children have learned from me.

Why am I stressed, you ask? Well, because I am not Martha Stewart. Have we covered this before? All holidays bring with them an intense amount of stress for me because I have Southern Living dreams and the hospitality skills of Scooby Doo. That doesn't even make any sense, but I'm too tired to think of a better comparison. What I'm saying is that as I enviously browse the pages of the Ladies Home Journal or check out the beautiful fall photos other friends post on their blogs, I know that not only will I have nothing even close that is worth showing off, but I will most likely forget my camera or run the batteries dead right at the moment it is needed anyway.

Right now I am dreaming of a beautifully decorated table with the perfect fall accents, an awe inspiring front porch displaying my amazingingly carved pumpkin, and a kitchen full of fall treats lined up and waiting in festive bowls and cute treat bags. I have visions of family costumes and the BEST decorated trunks for Trunk or Treat. I'm anticipating my sister's visit and even more family on Sunday and envisioning new, fresh linens on all of the beds and a 5 course meal that begins with a tasty shecrab soup (I've been wanting to try that ever since I went to Savannah).

What is really going down in this house: My kitchen is still covered in dirty dishes from supper tonight and lined with bags of ingredients for treats I haven't made yet. What space is not covered in groceries and dishes is being occupied with Dollar Tree bags full of stuff I'm hoping to throw together for my trunk or treat decor before I run out the door to teach 2 dance classes, leave early to get back and dress everybody to head to our fall festival where I am hoping to bring a butterscotch marble cake for the cake walk. I should be baking it right now, but I'm blogging and watching Biggest Loser.  Josh and I are preparing to repaint and refloor the playroom in the next couple of days, so I will be dividing my time between channeling Bob Villa and being a Chipette. Yes, my daughter decided that she and Kate and I needed to be the Chipettes and who am I to argue with her? I wanted Eli to be Alvin. He wanted to be Darth Vadar. Somehow he is now going to be a knight. And I wanted Josh's trunk to be a dungeon, but instead it will be decorated with FSU decor. There is no rhyme and reason people.

That's what I'm really writing about. Because before heading to bed tonight Sarah told Josh, "Tomorrow is going to be the best day ever." He reminded me that I could dress them in cardboard boxes and let them throw balls at each other's heads and they would think it was totally fun. And at the end of the day, I want to be fun. I want my kids to remember being excited and creative and involved. I am always tempted at times like these to totally take over and enforce my rules, my plans, my dress code, my idea of the picture perfect event. I won't lie, I would love for people to see pictures of my house or family and think, 'Wow, I want what she has.'  But you know what? I LOVE what I have. Three kids with more individuality and personality than the world is ready for. Three kids who are creative and know exactly what they want (even if I think it is totally tacky). Three kids who don't know what stressful means. And a hubby who wraps his arms around me in the kitchen and reminds me of what's important.

So, if it's all the same to you, I'm gonna kick up my feet and enjoy my Febreeze pumpkin spice candle. I'll bake my cake later. And I'll probably eat the other 11 oz. of chocolate chips it doesn't call for. And tomorrow I'm going to dress up like a Chipette and decorate my car with fall decorations from the Dollar Tree. And I'm going to have fun!  :)

3 comments:

Marcia said...

Amen girl! Love your blog, found it on Networked blogs.

Lori said...

Well, if this helps at all, I read your blog all the time and think, "I want what she has!" and I thought it all the more during our weekend in Savannah!! So..... that's at least one person:) I LOVE that Eli is going to be a knight too and if he's got a sword, he's doing better than us. We have a light saber:) In any case, your kids are going to L-O-V-E today and that's what you'll remember and that's what they'll remember and that's all that matters!! With only one, I get to spend more time on Jack's costume and everything and he couldn't care less about going to the Fall Festival so ..... ya know? We have to take them at who they are and what they care about and you do that as well as (or better than) any other mom I know!

Carol said...

Martha Stewart once said, "All the things I love is what my business is all about." I think Miss Emily that your business is all about love! There's nothing better to be dressed up in, or a more beautiful arrangement. And my blogging friend, I love you for it!!