Saturday, October 30, 2010

At The End of The Day

Well, leave it to me to procrastinate. I almost ran out of time for this post. My next post will be to tell you what this week has been like and you will forgive me.

Anyway, we started working on the playroom this week and it reminded me of how much I love that kind of work. Can y'all believe that? Dragging out carpet. Painting. Sweeping. All of it. Well, for a little while. The part I love the most is when there is a very obvious "after". That's why painting gets me so excited. A fresh coat of paint can make such a difference. Well, as I was pulling up old nail thingies (technical term for ya there) that held down the old carpet, I had a thought. This will show you how random my thoughts are. I was reminded that October is Pastor Appreciation Month. As I thought about that and thought about the work we were doing I felt like I needed to write to encourage all of my pastor friend's and preacher wife friends. In fact, y'all make up a big part of my blog readership. And working on the playroom reminded me of why ministry jobs can be so tough. You don't always get to see the "after". Even if you do it may take years or decades as opposed to minutes or hours. Being called to help grow people spiritually can be very lacking in physical, put in a display case kind of rewards. Of course we all know that the rewards are much greater. But man, some days it is rough not to see the fruit of your labor right then.

Tonight I just want to tell you~

At the end of the day it has made a difference that you've poured your heart, soul and mind into studying God's Word to bring to His people, even if it seems they don't listen or care. God's Word never returns void.

Isaiah 55:11

So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth;



It shall not return to Me void,


But it shall accomplish what I please,


And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.

At the end of the day it matters that you sacrificed your time to be with someone who was hurting.

Galatians 6:2

Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.


At the end of the day it matters that you've remained faithful when others have walked away.
1 Peter 4:10

Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms.

At the end of the day....you matter.

Thank you for the times you put others needs ahead of your own. Thank you for the dreams, careers and plans you've changed to be obedient to God's call on your life. Thank you for doing the jobs nobody else wants to do and being available when others aren't. Thank you for sharing your heart and your life in ways that most people are not expected to. Thank you for your spirit of hospitality, even in the times when you may be the new guy. And thanks for being the new guy a lot. Thank you for your willingness to follow wherever He leads, even if it is far from family, friends and all things familiar. Thank you for putting on a smile and greeting everyone on Sunday morning, even the Sunday mornings you'd like to just sit in a corner and cry or not get out of bed at all. Thank you for accepting that this is not a job, this is a life. Thank you for allowing it to consume every minute of your life, every decision you make. Thank you for being you. My prayer for all of my preacher friends and their wives tonight is that God would reveal your gifts, talents and strengths to you and that He would show you how best to use them. I pray that you will not feel expected to be somebody you are not. That you would feel just fine being you, filled with Jesus.

I would like to say a special thank you to our "pastor" Bro. Randy Kuhn and his wife, Mrs. Kathy. They have been a special part of our lives since before we were married, but last Christmas Eve they displayed what a true minister of the gospel looks like. They spent their Christmas Eve at the hospital with my family as we watched my Daddy leave us. I would also like to thank their PK (preacher's kid :) Rebekah, who gave up her special night with her parents so they could be with my family. There are no words to speak appreciation for their act of love and compassion. At the end of the day, it mattered to me.

I would also like to thank my new pastor, my hubby. I would like to thank him first of all for putting up with the preacher's wife. She can be a pill. :) I want to thank him for showing obedience to God in all he does. I want to thank him for setting an example for me of what a true Christian should be. I want to thank him for his faithfulness through trials (most of them very personal family trials) that would have had many pastors headed out the door. I want to thank him for being the exact same person at home that he is in the pulpit. I want to thank him for being a pastor that my Daddy respected. Josh, when you stood behind my Daddy's casket to preach his funeral, I knew that it is exactly what he would have wanted. And it is because you proved yourself over and over as a faithful follower of Jesus. In the way that you "courted" me (as my Daddy would've said) to the way you've taken care of me and the kids to the way you handle every situation with patience and love and joy.  You make me so proud and one month is not enough to appreciate you.

This month is almost over, but I thought I would link to my blogging buddies who serve as pastors or preacher wives and if you feel led I would love for you to leave them some words of encouragement. I know it would mean the world to them!

Melody @ http://lifeisabowlofwedgies.blogspot.com/
Patty @ http://welcometopattyville.blogspot.com/
Rachael @ http://girlfriendswithapurpose.blogspot.com/    Church Planting
Jana @ http://bishopswife.wordpress.com/
Philip @ http://feetwasher.blogspot.com/
Ross @ http://rossmiddleton.wordpress.com/  Church Planting
Amy @ http://findinghumorinamyslife.blogspot.com/
Deborah @ http://deborahloyless.blogspot.com/  (I love this lady. She does children's ministry at a Methodist church and does Mom's Morning Out once a week. She is a blessing!)
Kim @ http://crazyjesushalleluiah.blogspot.com/ (She and her husband have surrendered to missionary work and are overseas now)
Cindi @ http://daileys4christ.blogspot.com/  Church Planting
Melanie @ http://dropofgrace-mel.blogspot.com/
Josh @ http://scootersoundsoff.blogspot.com/

There are so many more, but these are the ones I have the links for handy. Christian bookstores are full of cards and gifts for pastor appreciation, but I really believe the greatest gift you can give those who serve in full-time ministry is the gift of your encouraging and loving words. I sure do love and respect all of you who serve our Father in the diverse and amazing ways that you do!

2 comments:

Amber said...

You are so right Bro.Randy and Mrs.Kathy are some of the sweetest! They have helped me through some very tough times and showed me the true love of Christ, just like you said. I miss them very much and their daughter is beautiful inside and out and have enjoyed the times we have got to spend together.
But I also want to thank you and your hubby for the work that you all have done, I know you have been a blessing in my life from just reading your blog and the times we do get to see each other. I am so glad to see God use you two and work through you! Your church is very blessed! Love ya girl!

Lori said...

I appreciate you a lot and your servant heart!! I've come to know that this post is just like you - at a time when others are supposed to appreciate you and your family - you're pouring appreciation out onto others!! That's like something Jesus would do:) Love you!