Saturday, October 2, 2010

Missing Montrose Day

Okay, so I just blogged and I planned to combine these two, but decided to break it up. It is the weekend and I don't want you bogged down in long blogs. You know, because these posts are totally War and Peace, or something epic like that. NOT! :)

Today feels a little sentimental for me. Today is Montrose Day. I don't know if any of you live in towns where you still have a day, but if you do you are blessed. Let me tell you about Montrose Day. It's a day when the whole community of Montrose shuts down and gathers at the city hall for bake sales, face painting, ball tournaments, shopping, food, and fireworks. The day ends with a concert and it is just so much fun. You have to understand that Montrose is pretty much a street. I mean, there are more roads and woods, but the city hall, firehouse, convenience store and churches are all right there on the same street. It used to be our street. I can't explain how fun it was to wake up in our sleepy community to music blaring and car engines roaring. They always had the car show in  our church parking lot. One year I woke up to the sounds of  "Let's Get It On" playing outside my window. Not something you expect living in the parsonage, but hey, it was Montrose Day!

One year we rented golf carts and had the most fun riding up and down from our house to the festivities. Josh would always be up super early to start the day off with prayer at the flagpole. He would drool over cars in the car show, the kids would play and I would enjoy checking out the different booths full of jewelry, purses, and fun stuff like that. Mostly I just enjoyed the life it brought to our quiet little neck of the woods. And of course I enjoyed some Marvin Gaye. :)  Usually after buying a hamburger plate and eating we would head back to the house and catch a nap. By the time we would get up it would be time to head back down for some supper, a concert and the fireworks. I loved it, y'all. This is the time of year when the weather is just right for sitting in some lawn chairs, eating some bar-b-q and listening to some country music. The night ended with fireworks and we usually headed home to pig out on whatever sweets we had bought from the sweet shop. My heart is missing Montrose Day today and so I thought I would share some pics from last year. I can't believe these were from a year ago!

                                                     The kids with a car from the car show.

                            This is one of my all time favorite pics. The kids spent hours on this thing.

                              We didn't get a golf cart last year, but that didn't stop Kate from climbing all up in somebody else's to take a break. :)

                                                 I cannot believe that was Kate a year ago!                                                                  
                                                         Girl was lovin' her some catfish!

                                     Nothing like watching the community gather for some fun and dancing! Last year we were all treated to a slow dance to a country version of Prince's "Purple Rain" by an intoxicated couple. Only time I felt like I needed to cover my kid's eyes at Montrose Day, but they were busy playing anyway. :)
                               Finally, I just have to share my favorite picture. I think it might be on the cover of Jeff Foxworthy's next book. In case you are wondering, those are glow sticks on my head. Also, I still have not figured out why my feet are purple in this picture.

Well, those are some of my favorite Montrose Day memories. I know it is time to start making new yearly traditions here. How about you? What are some of your favorite fall traditions that you look forward to?

2 comments:

Lori said...

What a neat thing! We don't have an "Andalusia Day" here but I would like a community day I think - it's an idea! Hate you're missing it but maybe they're having "Savannah Day" this weekend:)

Emily :) said...

I know!!!!! We are sooo close!!