Saturday, September 11, 2010

That's Something To Be Proud Of

I'm not sure if I've ever blogged about my thankfulness for the military, the police, firefighters, or EMS. All of the everyday hereos who do their jobs because they have to be done. Not for money, glory or fame. Just because it is the job that needs to be done. The truth is, there never seem to be words that are adequate. Everything I can think to say seems cliche or too simple. I'll admit, I still don't know how to say thank  you adequately. I will say that as we mark the 9 year anniversary of the day that changed our country forever, I have my eyes open to the sacrifices our military and their families make in a new and fresh way. In a hold my breath, count my blessings, spend more time on my knees kind of way.

You see, I am proud of my two uncles and grandfather who all served in the military. I am proud of so many of my friends and their families who have served this country in amazing ways. But, in the last several years both of our sisters have become "married to the military". And I don't consider those guys my brother in laws. They are my brothers. I joke that Dillon is the older brother I always wanted. (He's 5 days older than me. :)  And Brad, well, I could just pinch his cheeks. He seems like a cute, little kid to me, but the truth is that he has served our country overseas for the last 2 years. After a year in Korea, he and Leah are now in Italy, far from family and all things familiar.

Dillon has already fought for our country in Iraq and this very week will be leaving for Afghanistan.  Brad will be headed there as well sometime early next year. I know we hear about our troops going over there all the time, but for me, as well as for so many others, they are more than soldiers. They are real people. With wives and moms, and dads, and brothers and sisters who care about them. Dillon will be leaving behind a 2 year old and an infant. To serve our country. To protect us. To ensure that we continue to experience so many of the freedoms we take for granted and abuse.

Nine years ago I was broke down at Doak Campbell Stadium in Tallahassee, Fl. I had left my lights on during class and the little red rocket was deader than dead. I didn't even have a cell phone in those days. I was desperately trying to call Josh on a payphone and hoping someone would notice my distress and offer assistance. I couldn't figure out why everybody was gathered around the TV's and very preoccupied. It took a long time for the reality of what happened to sink in. Afternoon classes were cancelled due to bomb threats at the capital building. My 20 year old self didn't get it. I couldn't comprehend it. I'm not sure the 29 year old me has made sense of it yet. I had no idea that 9 years later two people who I didn't even know at that time would have a special place in my heart and that they would be called to fight for this cause. I didn't know I was capable of having so much pride in these people. My heart breaks for my sisters who will experience so many lonely and sleepless nights.  I pray for my nephew who is a true daddy's boy that he will adjust while his daddy is away. I am thankful for the amazing friends and neighbors who have become family to my brothers and sisters and offer to do things like baby-sit and do yardwork. I'm just proud. Proud to call these people MY family. I sure would appreciate your prayers in the months and year to come for these special people. Your prayers won't be wasted!

Dillon and Jenny (not to break the seriousness of this post, but does anybody else think it's totally unfair that my sister looks like a supermodel?? :)



                                                 Brad and Leah (my other supermodel sister.)

Brad- Thank you for serving our country!!


Dillon and baby Lyla. Does this picture just about do you in, too?


Luke is going to be so proud of his daddy!!


Okay, these guys may never speak to me again after posting these pics. Just needed them and y'all to know I AM PROUD!!!!

3 comments:

Amber said...

Just love this post, Love all the pictures too!! And I do thank everyone who serves so proudly for our country!

Karen said...

Love this post and a BIG THANK YOU to Dillon & Jenny, Brad & Leah for their sacrifices. Prayers for you all!

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU! That was very well said! And it makes me happy that you consider my baby boy to be a brother to you. :')
HUGS!!!
~Melanie :-)