Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Better Than Ice Cream

I am in a state of stay at home Mom ecstasy right now. We were expecting company this morning and after hustling and bustling to get the house in order, we found out they will be coming tomorrow. What does this mean, you ask? It means that I don't have any dance classes today and my house was clean by lunchtime! I have nowhere to be and nothing especially pressing to do. Lunch is complete and Kate has just laid down for her nap. I've got a 44oz. Diet Pepsi by my side and What Not To Wear is on TV. This is all I ask for people. :) Did I mention that it is also absolutely GORGEOUS outside???

So, I thought I would just take a minute and catch you up on what has been happening at casa de Fidller. It's nothing too exciting, but that's never stopped me from sharing before. :)  Last Thursday I dropped Kate off at her "school" (Mom's Morning Out) and Josh and I went for a stroll through the neighborhood.  I wasn't power walking at the track, we just held hands and strolled down our street. Would you believe that I had never even been all the way down our street? I am a pathetic excuse for a neighbor. Anyway, except for coming upon a dead deer that scared the mess out of me, it was a lovely, peaceful walk. We crossed the highway and walked onto the beach where Josh is planning an evening service in a couple of weeks. He is starting a sermon series soon called "How Great is Our God: Experiencing the Glory of God in Creation" and we are both really excited about it. I think it is going to be so awesome to celebrate the Lord's Supper right there on the beach at sunset. It was a wonderful walk. Except the part where I almost busted it on the rocks trying to get back to the road. Mental note: Find a different exit route for our elderly members. And everybody else.

Friday we made a stop by McDonald's to pick up some hot fudge sundaes for the kids. Sarah made a 100/A on her spelling test and Eli had gotten lots of smiley faces. One day they can discuss with their therapist how their parents rewarded them with food. It seemed to be an appreciated reward. Eli informed us that he loved his sundae so much he wanted to marry it. Alrighty then! I could be such a great mother-in-law to a hot fudge sundae. I'm not sure where Eli's little expression of love came from. Perhaps he has equated the love he sees between Josh and myself to that of our love for ice cream? Makes me think of this song. :)  My little man has become quite the ladie's man by the way. Everyday he comes home saying, "You know that girl? What's her name? That girl in your dance class? I saw her today." Well, come to find out, that girl from my dance class has been chasing him. He told me she never catches him, but later he told me that she got one of her friends to chase him. LOL. Sounds like what I would have to do! I figured that one day Eli would appreciate being dragged along to the dance studio, I just didn't expect it so soon. Mercy.

That night we took Josh and Eli to get haircuts. My Mom had given me two cards for free haircuts at SportsClips. My brother's best friend's girlfriend's cousin (did  you follow that?) works there. Josh went back first and I was already dreading Eli's turn. His last haircut was the weekend before school started and he totally flipped out and I had to let him sit in my lap in the chair for him to comply. I was bracing myself for all manner of bribing, dragging, begging, and pleading when she called him back. Josh walked back with him and returned to the lobby with us seconds later. Just like that, my baby boy grew up. Not only did he not need to sit in my lap, he didn't even need us to hover. It was very emotional, y'all. An emotion akin to the day he leaves for college, I'm sure.



After haircuts and a trip by the Family bookstore we made our way to Josh's parent's house to celebrate Mammy's birthday. I was not kidding when I told you this is the birthday month. I've gained 5 pounds this month, but it was worth it.

Sarah picked out a card for Mammy all by herself and the kids signed it without me having any part in it. Nobody loves celebrating like Sarah. And yes, she always wears dresses for parties. :)

We left Josh at his parent's for the night so he could help his Dad at work the next day and then head to Tally for the FSU game. Josh was 5 shades of excited. I hauled the kids home and got them to bed so I could snuggle up on the couch with a blanket and my new mystery novel. I didn't last long though. I was wored out. I don't tend to be too scared when Josh isn't home, but I do admit that I seem to hear noises I don't normally hear. For some reason the puppies decided this would be a good night to show their tails, literally. They were so noisy! Of course I kept convincing myself that someone must be in the house for them to be carrying on like that. I kept rechecking all of the rooms. Except the playroom where the puppies reside. Finally, it occured to me that someone could have come in that room. And then, I found myself praying for the imaginary intruder in my home, because bless the person's heart that walks in on 8 dogs!!!!! I, for one, look like an extra in a Freddy Kreuger movie just from my brief moments of feeding and watering them. I must have drifted off to sleep while praying for the poor soul in my playroom that didn't really exist, because the next thing I knew I was awake and it was 4 am. The puppies woke me up! I promptly put them OUTSIDE because while I will sacrifice life and limb to feed and care for those I love, I do not sacrifice sleep!!! Just ask my kids! :) I let them out and went back to sleep just long enough to dream that I overslept and missed my dance class.

After dance class the kids and I headed back to Panama City to take my Mom out for lunch for her birthday. We had a yummy lunch at Newk's and then did a little shopping at Kohl's. Have I ever told y'all that if Kohl's had a food court I would live there? Well, I would. Anyway, after that we headed back to my Mom's to eat some cake and brownies.  I don't have any pics from that outing because Josh had my camera taking pics like this...



Well, that was the excitement of our weekend. I spent the rest of Saturday hollerin' at my youngins and trying to read the rest of my book. Sunday we enjoyed church and a downpour. Yesterday we attempted new pics of the puppies (yes, we still have ALL 7). I thought y'all might appreciate this one....

Just call me the puppy lady. This is my life. Josh took this shortly after I got home from my Monday ballet/tap/tumbling class with 3 &4 year olds. Ten of them. I couldn't help but think that this is exactly how I feel in that class, too. :)

I know this has been a boring recap, but I have to admit I am thankful for some boring, routine days!!! They've been better than ice cream!

2 comments:

Cindi Dailey said...

too cute! Love that last pic!

The Story of Us said...

#1) Mother in law to a hot fudge sundae I almost died laughing!
#2) SO true about Kohls! They should at least sell goldfish crackers LOL see...http://kidsaretough.blogspot.com/2010/08/battle-of-goldfish.html
#3) in love with the brown and white dog!