Sunday, September 5, 2010

Proud

My rough week this last week had a lot to do with dealing with a yucky issue called pride. Eventually I am hoping to be able to share an amazing story about how much I've grown and what I've learned. For now, I'm going to focus on the good kind of pride. The Mama kind of pride. I hope you don't mind. They're my babies and I'll brag if I want to. :)

First, I wanted to share something that just made my day yesterday. For anyone living under a rock or on another planet, college football started this weekend. That meant a trip to PC to watch the game with Josh's family and my Mom and brother. If I can be completely honest, I've been dreading football season. A lot. And not for the usual reasons, like, not getting to watch what I want on TV. You see, my Dad was the.BIGGEST.FOOTBALL.FAN.EVER. Hands down. My Daddy loved family and football and he loved them big. I think football season may be tougher than his birthday and all holidays put together. To me, football=my Daddy. When I was away at college the only thing that made me homesick was football on the TV on weekends. I can't explain it. It's just one of those things. I am still totally clueless about football despite my Dad's continuous efforts to educate me, but I always said that since I couldn't play football I did the next best thing. I made the dance team and we performed during all half-time shows so my dad always had an excuse to be at the high school football games. :)

I say all of that to tell you that in addition to football season starting, Eli has been playing football at PE and thinks it is the greatest thing ever. As he was talking about it yesterday it made me a little sad that my Dad wasn't here to experience Eli's excitement or see him play. The Bible tells us there are a cloud of witnesses watching us in this race called life, and I have to wonder if there is also a crowd of grandparents checking in on PE and dance classes. I like to think so. :) Eli drew this picture and it just melted my heart and  made me think that Pappy would be so proud.

This is Eli in his football gear. And, according to him, his little brother, who is also named Eli??????? NO! I am not making any announcements. I have no idea where that came from! Josh asked if we should adopt Eli Manning. I told him Eli Manning needs to adopt us!!!

Sarah made me equally proud tonight. It has been a long time since I've had all 3 of my children in church. Our church here usually has a nursery for Kate, but not tonight. I had forgotten what a beating it could be, but also how amusing. At one point Kate kept walking to the pew in front of us and I caught Eli doing that fingers to the eyes and then pointing at Kate thing, as in, "I've got my eye on you." Cracked me up! On a more positive, spiritual note, Sarah composed a praise chorus. Or as she calls it "The Song".


Man, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy to see my firstborn express her love for HER savior (or saveryer)! Don't worry, God always provides a way to keep me from being too prideful. At one point tonight Kate was laying on the floor under the pew singing (in a whisper) "Gotta get that boom, boom".  Maybe in 5 years she will be as spiritual as her sister. :)

And just to top off my so proud I could burst into glitter ( I totally stole that from my cousin, Lauran) moment, when I got home from church tonight my friend, Ann, had taken some pics I posted on FB and made these amazing digital scrapbook pages. I love them!




Okay, I will stop with the obnoxious Mom bragging. Just had to get it out there. How about you? What have you been proud of (in the good way) lately? Your kids? Your job? Your favorite football team? Your ability to get where you're going on time? Seriously, I want to hear it all!!

4 comments:

The Story of Us said...

I know its terrible to be so prideful but when we picked Ashlyn up from the church nursery the ladies said... "Is she your youngest?" We said "No Our only why?" Expecting to hear something terrible like she was beating kids up for toys so we figured she has to hold her own at home... But they were impressed with her talking and knowing her colors and stuff... It made me feel good that she was expressing herself and sharing the joy she gives us with others!
PS So glad I could scrap those beautiful pictures of your girls! Can't wait until mine is dancing! I will email you now so you can print them up! I would totally print them myself and send them but you'd get them in about 2 years when I get my act together (or so I tell myself)!
PSS... Kate singing that under the pew just totally cracked me up! I have to meet her!

Lauran said...

Yay for bursting into glitter :)
I LOVE hearing a proud Mama brag... a PROUD Mama is the sweetest most honest emotion I can think of. And you have lots of reasons to be proud of your sweet babies Emily!

Lately... I'm proud of my little man's potty training efforts. We have good and bad days but I can tell he's trying his best! :)

Karen said...

Love the ballet pictures. Sarah looks like a natural. And YAY on the praise song - she could have a future in composing worship music...:)

Lori said...

LOVE the digital scrapbook pages - I wish I knew how to do those. I'm proud of my football team after their performance this Saturday. I have to say though that I'm not as thrilled about football season being here as I normally am, but mine is for a very silly, prideful reason:) It's just that we have nowhere to go but down after winning it all last year - crazy, I know:)