Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Home

This has been a crazy, busy week so far, but I wanted to check in so you wouldn't all think that I turned 30 and ran away with the circus or had to be put in a rest home or anything like that. :) The truth is, I got a B12 shot yesterday and it finally kicked in today. I have felt like superwoman. I don't know how long it will last, but I will be beating down the door to the Dr's office when it wears off!!

I've set some new goals for my self and one of those is going to bed earlier. Perhaps I will not need b12 shots if I can learn to go to bed before midnight. :)  So, maybe that will translate into shorter blogs for y'all to read. Or maybe I will start waking up really early and blogging. Okay,  maybe y'all will have shorter blogs to read......

Anyway, I want to first wish my Mom and Josh's grandma, Mammy, Happy Birthday! Yes, we are still celebrating birthdays. My sister's was 3 days before mine. September is THE birthday month around here. There's a lot of cake eating going on around these parts.

Besides going to bed earlier and maintaining my blood sugar, another goal of mine is to be more faithful in my Bible study time. It is embarrassing as the preacher's wife to admit that I have not been as consistent as I should be, but I'm just being honest. And I've realized over the last few months that it has really taken a toll on me spiritually. I just have reached a point where I've discovered that I miss my relationship with God. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I had abandoned God or forsaken my religion. It just has come to my attention that I have slowly grown away from Him as I've tried to handle difficult life stuff on my own. I'm ready to feel at home again.

Josh and I have often talked about how we sometimes feel "homeless". Anyone else who is in ministry probably understands this. Frequent moving and never having any idea how long God will have you somewhere can leave you feeling that way. Especially as we have now served in two very small communities that for the most part are made up of  people who were born and raised and lived their whole lives in the same place. The awesome thing about experiencing that feeling is that God has really impressed on me that my real home is with Him. We always hear the saying, "Home is where the heart is" and we are told that "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also" Matt. 6:21. It is my prayer that my treasure is my salvation and relationship with my Heavenly Father. I pray that my heart will always long just to be in His presence, and thankfully He is willing to be wherever I am if I seek Him.

With my baby ballerinas we do a stretch where we put our feet together and pretend to be butterflies. I always ask them where they want to fly to. They could choose anywhere. That is the great thing about pretending. But without fail they start shouting, "Let's go to my house!" So, we "fly" to their house and they instruct us to do things like feed their fish or play dress up. They could choose anywhere in the world (or out of this world!), but they choose home. Because that is what is safe and comfortable and feels right to their 4 year old little hearts. It's what they know and they are content with that. It's where the people they love are. Oh how I am praying that I will become excited and content in finding my place at "home" with God. I've experienced so much change in the last year of my life. Losing my Dad. Moving to a new town, church and house. Starting a new job. Going from homeschooling to putting the kids in school. Birthing 7 puppies. (Well, you know what I mean. :)  The list goes on. It is a gift to know that when life is full of changes, God never does. "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." Hebrews 13:8.

Being with Him is being home. "But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign LORD my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds." Psalm 73:28

4 comments:

Lori said...

I have a goal of going to bed earlier too!! I normally get in bed around 1 or later and up by 7 (ish:) and by the weekend I'm a goner!! I've just started reading The Sacred Romance by John Eldridge and Brent Curtis and it's been great so far about getting your heart back and getting back in tune with God - just a suggestion!

Karen said...

Amen Sister!!!

Lori - Awesome book - "Waking The Dead" (Eldridge) is worth a read as well.

Melody said...

I can completely identify with these feelings...all except for the birthing the puppies, that is. I love how that longing for home seems put inside us as women and keepers of the home....and even deeper than that...the longing for our ultimate home one day.
BTW: I'm currently trying to find a ballet teacher for our 3&4's at our church preschool...to come one morning a week. You wouldn't want to make the drive to NC from Fla would you? Put on your butterfly wings and just flit on over! I know you are such a fun and great teacher....oh, I am praying for someone like you to come our way!

Emily :) said...

Melody, I would LOVE to come teach your girls! As soon as my private jet is fixed I think I can fit it in my schedule. :)

I will help you pray for just the right teacher!