Thursday, January 27, 2011

What To Do When the World is Coming To An End

So, maybe just a week or so ago I was beginning to think that my blogging days were over. My life had settled into such a peaceful, ordinary routine. It seemed pretty void of much of the craziness that made up my early blogging days. Without mice, car trouble or a 2 year old, I was beginning to have an identity crisis. I mean, WHO AM I? We have a schedule. I cook six nights of the week now. My kids have clean socks for school everyday. My life had become virtually unrecognizable. Then......the Jeep died. You know what is so funny? One of my friends commented that she was just thinking I hadn't written about car trouble in a while! LOL. What can I say, it was due. :)

Just a little update, Josh took the starter BACK to AutoZone and had it tested again and it WAS messed up. So he was right. He got a new one, put it in and we were back in business. Praise.The.Lord.

I was feeling bad over the weeked and only entered the world long enough to grocery shop on Sat. I had to. When I woke up that morning my kids were eating vanilla wafers and marshmallows for breakfast. I know I was feeling bad because I totally went to Wal-Mart and only got groceries. I didn't even pick up a new mascara or some new Febreeze. I mean, I was on a mission. So were the other 80 billion people there. I sent Josh a text saying, "Everybody and they Mamaw is here", meaning, "I hope to be home before Kate graduates from high school". It just so happened that a couple from our church got behind me in line and I enjoyed having the chance to talk with them during the 4 hour wait in line. I cannot tell you how thankful I was that I was not buying anything embarrassing. Apparently the cashier knew the person in front of me and hadn't seen them in 45 years or so and was catching up on every last minute. Finally, I was outta there.

Monday was pretty uneventful. I do believe, however, that this was the day my daughter told me her life was over. I gotta say, that child knows how to get my attention. I inquired about this declaration and she informed me that she has three friends at school and they were all upset about the others. I tell ya, if that isn't dramatic and life ending, I don't know what is. :)

Drama seems to be the theme this week. I told y'all in my last blog that our water was out. WE ARE STILL ON A BOIL NOTICE!! At first there was a power outage at the treatment plant and then today a water line busted. This caused us to be completely out of water for a few hours. The great thing was that it would come and go. It would mostly go at very convenient times like when I had just loaded the washer or when I had just gone to the bathroom. Nice. But, despite my children's fears, we have not died.

In other exciting news all of the children are sick with strep throat and a stomach virus. Not my kids! Hallelujah! But at the dance studio we have been walking around with hand sanitizer before and after the classes. Between the icky water and talk of the stomach bug I am considering bathing in Lysol tonight.

To add to that drama we had the dramatic event of the week. One of my 5 year old ballerinas fell and scraped her knee AND tore her tights on the way in today. I could hear her screaming as soon as she walked through the door and we were about 10 minutes late getting started. This was a situation that needed to be dealt with very delicately. With a band-aid. And allowing her to cry through the first 10 minutes of class. I felt bad for her, but she has what it takes to be a dancer. She pressed on despite the pain. I was tempted to say, "There's no crying in ballet!"  But then I thought, just wait until she puts on pointe shoes! Then you cry through the whole class!

Sarah has an hour long class after mine so I ran some errands. I picked a birthday gift and ran by the Pig to buy LOTS of bottled water. I got home just in time to see Josh under the church van (the water pump went out on it. I know, I know, I sat in it and now......) and Kate wandering around with Daisy. She had opened the gate and let her out. I went to chase Daisy and thankfully Josh got her. By the time I got back to unload the Jeep, Kate had opened the birthday present! I took Kate inside and unloaded my groceries (do y'all notice how much grocery shopping I do? I think I'm going to go put that as one of my activities on FB).  I ran back to get Sarah and by the time I got home Kate had on no pants and had spilled an entire bag of chips on the floor. As I was sitting down to type a FB status that said this has not been my week, I asked Kate why her pants were off. Because she had an accident. I asked her where she had an accident. She pointed to my feet. Right where I was sitting. Fabulous. The night continued with her falling off a stool and climbing on the kitchen counter to eat half a jar of dill pickles. Apparently she had just given me a few peaceful months to recover from the 2's before she went into the 3's full force. Or maybe she was concerned about my identity crisis. It's true, I don't know what to do without little people getting into everything and eating all of our food. What will I do y'all? What will I blog about then? I just can't imagine what it will be like to, I don't know, have to have a hobby or something to do.

It's just been a week y'all. My suggestion for weeks like this: hand sanitizer, muscle relaxers, bottled water and cool-whip. Crying works, but laughing does too!!!

3 comments:

Marcia said...

don't forget the chocalate...:)

and don't EVER stop blogging...you have a wonderful way of turning the day-to-day frustrations into something to laugh about

Karen said...

I'm with Marcia - chocolate, chocolate, chocolate...oh yeah, and LOTS of Lysol, maybe face masks too...and don't worry about not having anything to blog about - you haven't hit the teen years yet and about the time Kate gets out of those, Sarah should be ready to have kids - so you will have grandkids!!! (Just in case you didn't feel old today... :D) Love you!!
& Seriously hope you feel better soon!

Megan @ Faith Like Mustard said...

Hand sanitizer, muscle relaxers, bottled water and cool-whip...That's been my survival kit, too (except M&M's instead of cool-whip). ;)