Saturday, January 1, 2011

Will You Join Me?

I have grown up, so to speak, doing Beth Moore Bible studies and enjoy reading her blog. Something her ministry is doing is asking blog readers to memorize two Bible verses a month. On the 1st and the 15th. She has a small spiral notebook she keeps the verses in to have handy at all times. Well, I attempted last time and I think I made it to two verses, period. Pretty sorry. I admit I am a bit shy and overwhelmed by the huge number of bloggers who share on her blog, so I thought maybe some of you would want to do this here with me? If not, I'm totally used to rejection, it's okay. :)

All I'm going to do is post my verses on the 1st and the 15th. There won't be specific verses to memorize. Every person chooses whatever verse they feel is speaking to them at that time. I will post my verse and maybe share a little bit about why it is important to me or what it is saying to me or something like that. Then, if you like, you can comment with your verse. And, I promise I won't, like hunt you down and tie you to a chair and make you spout off verses or anything like that. I just thought this would be something that would hold me accountable and give me a chance to know more about y'all and how to pray for you more specifically.  And seriously, it's 20 minutes shy of the midnight mark and I've been planning to blog this for over a week. I need all the accountability I can get!!

So, here goes. I'm kind of cheating because I'm choosing  a very familiar verse for me, but I realized I know the first part, but kind of mumble through the rest of it. As I've shared I can really struggle with letting my thoughts get the best of me, and I want desperately to have a year that I turn EVERYTHING over to God and truly trust Him. Here goes:
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."

Philippians 4:6

I am praying this will become the constant attitude of my heart this year and that I can memorize the verses. And I'm starting with this one so I won't have anxiety over memorizing verses. :) I will learn it the way I just posted it from the NIV, because that is the original translation I learned it in many, many years ago.  You can share the translation you are using just in case someone else wants to look it up, too.

Hope you all have had an awesome start to the New Year! I look forward to the journey we are beginning and hope y'all will stay on as my traveling buddies!

P.S. Please forgive me if none of this made a bit of sense. I think I stayed up too late last night. And that's saying a lot for me. :)

2 comments:

Carol said...

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28 from the King James because its pages are old and wrinkly...like me...lol.

This verse saw me through many difficult and painful times, and it has helped me to know God makes beauty from ashes.

Karen said...

Yes!! I'll join you! I've been doing some reading and praying lately about spiritual disciplines and scripture memory is one of the ones I really need to work on. I like Phil. 4:6 and it's one I need right now, so I'll work on that one too!