Sunday, April 25, 2010

A Good Lesson on Good Friday

This post has been brewing in my heart for almost a month now. Yes, since Good Friday. The week of Easter Josh recieved a voicemail. I didn't even hear it for myself and I think it is best. Just listening to Josh tell me about it created such anger inside of me I could have spit fire. I'm sure you can understand that I can't give you details and for that I apologize. I hate being vague which is why I've put off writing this post. Tonight I felt it was time.

The voicemail was an assault on Josh's character and motives. It didn't actually have a thing in the world to do with me, and yet it had everything to do with me. I've learned that Jesus was right when He said that, "the two shall become one" (Mark 10:8). When someone speaks against Josh it is equal to speaking it against me. We are one. In fact, if you want to hurt me, hurt Josh.

Well, like I said, I was very upset. I felt very justified in my anger. In fact, if I could tell you about the voicemail you would probably jump right on the bandwagon of being angry too. You would assure me I was justified. But that is not what this is about. This is about the lesson I had to learn that week.

Just a few days later in Sunday School we were discussing taking the Lord's Supper. Of course I just couldn't get past the part that tells us we are not to take the Lord's Supper if we have an issue with our brother. I was having big ol' issues with one of mine. 1 Corinthians 11:27-29 tells us, 27 Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 28 A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup. 29 For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body of the Lord eats and drinks judgment on himself. Of course, I was tempted to think that other person was the one who needed to make things right not me. Wrong. God made it very clear to me that the only person I could control in the situation was me.

During church I found myself begging God to show me how to deal with the anger. I just felt like it was doing it's best to take up permanent residence in my heart. I also knew it was the kind of anger that would turn into an ugly bitterness if I kept feeding it. I desperately wanted to worship, especially that week, with clean hands and a pure heart. As I was praying my mind kept explaining to God how bad it hurt. How unfair it was for Josh to be so falsely accused. How disappointing it was that a person seemed so willing to overlook the truth and slander someone who had done nothing but try his hardest to do God's Will.

Even as the thoughts were racing through my mind Josh stood up and began to preach about the trials and crucifixion of Christ. The forced trials where Jesus was falsely accused and then punished after being found innocent! He described in detail the scourging that took place to punish a man who had done nothing but good while He walked this earth. And then, he reminded us of the mocking that took place. The crowds laughing at Jesus and mocking everything He stood for. And it was His Word that told me exactly what I had to do with my anger.
Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing."
Luke 23:34
For the first time in my life I heard this story in a fresh way. I've always focused so much on the physical pain that Jesus suffered that day. This year, I was overcome with grief for the emotional pain that Jesus must have felt. False accusations. Jeering. Mocking. I can't even begin to understand any of the pain that He felt that day. But I know how my Lord and Savior dealt with it. He offered forgiveness. Jesus turned my eyes from my own sense of injustice and anger and amazed me anew with the grace and mercy that are His story. It was a good lesson for Good Friday.

4 comments:

Cindi Dailey said...

Been there and I understand...Love ya! Awesome post!

Amber said...

I think alot of people can say they have been wear you were, but I can only speak for myself when I say that I have not always dealt with it the way you have wrote so beautifully here! Thank you for this :)

Melody said...

Wow, what a powerful word here. I too have been focused on the physical pain of Jesus during Easter and not thought about the emotional aspect. And how neat that the Holy Spirit was ministering to you/teaching you through that very part of Jesus' suffering.

Anonymous said...

That has been such a battle for me in the past...taking on an offense in defense of my husband. Thank you for the terrific insight. This entry is one I will have to keep on hand in case I find myself facing this type of situation in the future.

Great stuff!!