Saturday, April 24, 2010

You've Got To Know When To Hold 'Em, Know When To Fold 'Em.....

My day today couldn't have been any more exciting. It was so exciting that I decided to deal with "THE SOCK BOX". Do you have a sock box at your house? What is a sock box you ask? Well, at our house it is actually TWO tupperware containers full of, yeah, socks. Black socks. White socks. Brown socks with pink stripes. Spiderman socks. Dora socks. Or maybe I should say Dora *sock*. Because you see, the thing about the socks in the sock box is that they don't have a match. So sad. I've considered putting them on Match.com. I hear that site really does work.

Well, these were the last two remaining boxes from our move. They've been taking up space in my bedroom and collecting clothes. My husband has an aversion to putting dirty clothes in the hamper. We find it is better to pile them up in a mountainous heap that also includes clean clothes, belts, bags, and other random stuff. I personally enjoy the challenge of trying to figure out what is clean and what is not. Adds a level of difficulty that really spices up the laundry for me.


I packed these boxes during our move and after close to two months in these boxes I decided it was time to just chunk them. This is very hard for me because, yes, I do know there are children in other countries who do not have socks to wear. Actually, I've wondered if God might consider sending us to a tropical island with a no shoe requirement. Does anybody else have children who suffer from "My socks don't feel right" syndrome? In case you are wondering the symptoms of this disease are:


*excessive whining
*rolling around on the floor, kicking and screaming
*taking socks and shoes off at every given opportunity
*uttering the words "MY SOCKS DON'T FEEL RIGHT!!!!!!" in a very high pitched, annoying voice


Two of my children were born with this syndrome and it has led to my undying love and devotion to the summer months of flip-flops and sandals. Cleanliness and barefootedness are next to godliness at our house.
I was actually shocked at how many pairs I did put together today. I was also amazed at my level of procrastination when I found Eli's baby socks. His baby socks, y'all. The child is about to turn 5. It was really time to deal with the sock box. You know, just in time for the months when we don't wear socks. They will now sit nicely in drawers until next fall. The cooler weather will creep in, we'll shop for new fall shoes and we'll pull out the nicely matched socks. And.....they won't fit!!!!! THEY WON'T FEEL RIGHT!!!!! And my mind will drift to fantasies of these days....

3 comments:

patty said...

Haha! We have a sock basket and occasionally I find socks in there that my son wore in the days of childhood--he's 14.

I love the feet in the sand..........too cute!

Lori said...

I actually throw socks away on a regular basis. If it hasn't found a match in a week or two, out it goes! The reason is this: I hate going through a sock box!!! I've had those before and during my last experience, I said "NEVER AGAIN!!" :-)

Karen said...

adopt a page from my dad's book...for YEARS he saftey pins his socks together as soon as the come off his feet. He never has a sock w/o a mate and laundry is a breeze. (NOTE: my dad is the only one in our family who does this...I keep threatening to, never have...)