Saturday, April 3, 2010

Extreme Home Makeover: We Couldn't Walk Through the Playroom Edition

Here it is, the moment we've all been waiting for!! Okay, maybe it was just me. Here is the grand reveal....

First, we have the table and chairs for the playroom. I guess I never got a before shot, but imagine it a pale yellow with kid grafitti all over it and some chipped paint. I got this table at Montrose Day the first year we were there and I have been so happy with it. I am really excited now that it has a fresh coat of paint and a chalkboard top! I haven't told the kids yet, I'm enjoying how clean it is for a minute....

Now let's talk about this bookcase. It was my Dad's that he kept pictures and all kinds of stuff on and I am so happy to have it full of my kid's books and toys now. I think he would like that. I have edited both of these pictures 5 times a piece and they are still sideways! Oh well, that gives you a little clue as to how Josh and I are feeling after our Extreme Makeover Extreme Workout!! :)


So, the color on the bottom is the green I was going for. However, I ran out of paint and couldn't get back into Panama City to get a new can, so I had to go with what I thought was closest at the hardware store here. We will talk about that little experience in a minute....





Because I am a total doofus when it comes to uploading pics on blogger, we will digress from the bookcase for a minute and talk about this dresser. This is a dresser I got for $75 dollars at a store in Louin, Ms. Josh thought I was crazy, but to me it just had potential written all over it. We put a new coat of white paint on it and changed the the hardware to black knobs and handles and I am so thrilled with it! It is so great in the playroom because it provides so much storage for games and dress-up clothes and stuff like that.

Now, back to the bookcase. As you can see in the playroom after picture, it is not lime green. It is what I have termed "HOOAH!" green. Seriously, when Josh set it up and put the black boxes (I used that spray paint for plastic and it really worked!) my first thought was that I had unknowingly created an Army barrick for my kids. I am still not crazy about that green, but it will grow on me. I've decided my kids are going into Mama's Bootcamp. Don't be surprised if my kids leave their toys out and I go in screaming "DROP AND GIVE ME 50!!"
We want to paint the walls white, but we will have to get permission from the church and some energy. :)





Finally, the part that I am SOOOO excited about! My china cabinet!

We stained the china cabinet red mahogany and Josh painted the inside Richmond Bisque. I wasn't sure about painting the inside when Josh suggested it but now I am so glad we did. It is a really great contrast. We also put new hardware on the drawers and doors. And as if I weren't excited enough about the cabinet, I FINALLY got to display my beautiful bowl from Italy that my sweet SIL Leah and her husband Brad sent us from Italy for Christmas. I'm not kidding, I had only taken it out of the box once to look at it! I finally feel like it has a safe home now. :)
Here is a pic of our dining room. It finally feels complete!
I will wrap up this edition of Extreme Home Makeover with a little story that will leave many of you saying, "I told you so!" I had all of my pretty, breakable things taken in the box straight to storage so they wouldn't get broken in our house before the china cabinet got here. Well, yesterday when I went to get my pretty things there was the most putrid smell. Putrid. I've heard people use that word, but yesterday was the first time I experienced a smell best described by it. I knew what it was right away. A dead rodent. In my box of pretty stuff. Y'all there were maggots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was like CSI: Port St. Joe. I know many of you predicted that our rodent friends would find a way to Florida and I just thought I should let you have your moment. Go ahead....say it. You told me so.

6 comments:

patty said...

Well, that is cute and all but what I am most interested in is the china cabinet. I have the one that I remember going with my parents to purchase when I was a little girl. I'd love to do something with that thing to update it some! So, please do a post on how you went about re-doing yours!! I am always so scared to buy any old furniture b/c I don't know what to do with and I like what you did with that dresser too. Did you have to sand it or just paint it? I need step by step instructions b/c I am a doofus when it comes to these things (and on this, hubby is a bigger doofus!).Glad you are settling in so well.

Carol said...

Emily, I am so glad that we touched base. It's always fun to make new friends especially those in the household of faith. I came across your blog and have really enjoyed reading and chuckling along with you. I am pleased that you were touched by mine and hope you will continue to walk along with me. Be blessed in your day and your blog:)

Lori said...

I refuse to comment on the rodent situation - just refuse!

I love the playroom and dining room!! You guys did a great job and have seriously hit the ground running!!

Amber said...

Emily you did a great job!! I think it looks awesome!! Now when I get into my own house again I will hire you to come help me :)

Karen said...

LOVE The china cabinet. Great job!
Rodents....LOL (sorry, but it's the plague of the ministry...)

Sarah said...

your paint and staining work turned out beautiful! I wish I had a project now.