Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Just Call Me Martha Stewart. Or Bob Villa. Or Crazy...

In the past I have shared my fabulous cake making and decorating skills with you. I've also divulged my pest control secrets. I've even blessed you with my weight loss advice. So, I felt that it was time. Time to add home makeovers to my extensive list of "how to's" on this here blog. What can I say? I'm every woman.

I will start by showing you our playroom. Now, your first thought will probably be, 'Oh my gosh! I cannot believe she would show such a picture!' However, my first thought is that if you see what this room looks like now, ANYTHING I do will be an improvement. Don't you agree?

My cousin, Lauran, always posts blogs about the home projects she is working on and I so want to be her when I grow up. (Let's just pretend I'm not older than her.) She has the greatest ideas and does the cutest little collages to show them off. You can check out her blog at The Ellis Nest. But back to my room, I'm going to share my vision with you. The colors will be white, black and lime green. Yes, that red curtain, is going to GO! I have a bookcase that was my Dad's that I am in the process of spray painting lime green. I worked on it today but I'm going to have to buy some more paint. It makes me think of Kermit everytime I see it. I haven't decided if that is good or not. I will talk more about this room in another post and give you before and after shots. I hope. Please let there be after pictures!!!
Okay, the BIG project-the china cabinet. Recently my Mom asked me if I wanted my Grandma Strickland's china cabinet and I told her I would love to have it now that I have a little more room in my dining room. So, we picked it up today and began the work of stripping the old finish and sanding it down. Oh boy...

Overheard in the backyard of the pastorium:
Your friendly neighborhood preacher says,
"I'm glad I listened to my parents and got the high dollar stripper."
I hope these people learn how to take us. :)
It's very important that before starting any home project you take a pic of yourself in your work gear. Do I look like I know what I'm doing or what???

This china cabinet won't even be recognizable when we're done! And I really, really hope I mean that in a good way....


Stay tuned for after pics. Our families are coming to spend Easter day with us and these projects WILL be done!

*Playroom bookcase painted Lime Green.
*Dresser in playroom painted a fresh coat of white
*China Cabinet stained and new hardware in place
*Playroom chairs painted white and table painted white with chalkboard paint on surface.
*Kid's artwork framed and on playroom wall

To be continued....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see the pics!!
-Alyson :-)

Lauran said...

Awwwweee, I got a shout out! :) I am so excited about your projects. Before & after decorating pictures are my crack! The line about "I'm glad I listened to my parents and got the high dollar stripper." almost made me fall out of my chair. Haha :)

Karen said...

That stripper comment made me LOL - literally! Good luck!!

Lori said...

I LOVE home projects!! Can't wait to see the finished product~!