Friday, November 27, 2009

Makin' A List.........

Let's just pretend that I am really famous and popular and people care what my favorite gift ideas for the holidays are. Let's just pretend. :)

I have spent today in my pj's doing some online shopping and can I just say that I think online shopping is the greatest thing since sweet potato casserole! I know some people just love the atmosphere and experience of getting up at the crack of dawn in really cold weather to fight the crowds and kill their feet, but I am not one of them. So here I sit. I obviously cannot share any gift ideas for the grown ups as the grown ups I shop for read my blog. :) But I am really excited about a couple of things for my kids and just wanted to share in case you are seeking some inspiration.

First, I have to tell you that I felt really challenged this year to not go crazy with the shopping. 1. My kids already have a ton of stuff. They just do. 2. I really want them to enjoy gifts, but also learn to be as excited about giving them as getting them. 3. I have become an experienced enough parent to know what my kids will actually use or play with or what I will be stepping on in the middle of the night that gets tossed aside and broken. With that said, these are my favorite gift ideas.

Illustory is a book where your child can write and illustrate their own story. You then send it back to the company and they will make it into a hardback book. Is that not the coolest thing ever??? Am I just the biggest dork ever??? My friend Karen assures me that not everyone actually LIKES to write the way that I do, but lately Sarah has been writing her own stories and taping pieces of paper together. I LOVE IT! Couldn't make this Mama happpier. I think this could be a neat idea for anyone who would like to create a short story for their loved ones. AND, it is on sale right now. I found this one at Target for $19.99. You can only get it online, but today it is on sale for $14.99. With tax and shipping you come out at $21.99.

Okay, my second exciting gift idea is for active children who like to draw on EVERYTHING. I mean everything, y'all. I keep telling myself it is a sign of a brilliant child who will one day become a famous (and rich) artist and will replace all of the things in his poor mother's trashy looking house with the colored walls and furniture. :) Eli has been telling me for months that he wants a skateboard. All the older boys around here have them, but I wasn't sure Eli was ready for one. Josh assured me Eli is the age he was when he got one. So, I started checking out skateboards and look what I found!! The design your own skateboard will allow Eli to have something else to decorate besides my furniture and then he will have a skateboard! The only negative I read in the reviews of this product is that it is smaller than a normal skateboard. That is actually a bonus to me because I think it will be a better fit for Eli's size right now.

So, these are a couple of the gifts I am really excited about. Will I hate myself and wonder what the heck I was thinking when we actually begin working on this book and skateboard? Very likely. Will it be worth it if my kids are as excited about them as I am right now? Definitely!

How about you? Do you have any gift ideas you are really excited about?

2 comments:

Cindi Dailey said...

Ha! We got up at 3AM to go shopping and did not get home until 12PM. We bought ALL of Dave's Christmas presents, MOST of Shane's Christmas presents (we will get him a few little things), and presents for my Mom, Sister, 3 nieces, 1 nephew. I got 2 shirts, a pair of brown shoes, a pair of black boots. Also we got some stuff for the house and some Christmas decorations. We spent a bundle but saved more. EVERYTHING was cash. We got our IRS money finally (from 2007 and 2008 tax years). I am exhausted, but am now doing some deep cleaning so I can start decorating. :)

We only have Dave's parents, my brother-in-law, My dad, and a family gift for Dave's sister. THree of those will be gift certificates.

Lori said...

I don't have a specific gift that I think is really cool yet, but we are giving Jack three gifts as a signal of the wisemen bringing three gifts to Jesus. My friend does it and I thought it would be a neat thing to start with him. Plus, it helps you keep the buying under control. I'll do a post about it soon maybe.