Thursday, August 6, 2009

Shoes in the Fridge

This is a true story. Tonight, I heard my husband say, "We need to get Sarah's shoe out of the refrigerator." For real y'all, how can you take life too seriously when you hear something like that?

I've been thinking a lot about seriousness vs. silliness. I've often struggled with wanting to be more serious and have greater, deeper thoughts to offer the world. Sorry, they haven't come. :( Do you ever feel like to be spiritually legit it means that you are always serious and discussing important, life altering issues? Many times I have questioned if God could ever really use me in any way important because let's face it, I am just a big goofball. I have actually laid in bed before and thought, 'if some random person read my blog would they worry about a preacher who is married to the crazy lady?'

Well, in the last month or so I've had a few different people say to me or about me that I have such a joy. I do not say that bragging. I say that to tell you about my Jesus. You see, that is exactly the way He works. Some people who read my blog know and some don't, but for six years I suffered with depression. I'm not talking about baby blues or a sad time. I'm talking straight up, gained 40 pounds, stayed in bed, wouldn't leave the house kind of depression. So when people talk about my joy, it blows my mind. I know that it is a joy that can only come from my Savior.

I am aware of all of the sadness, heartache, and pain in the world. In fact, as someone in ministry and a former social worker I believe I may know it better than some. I don't believe in pretending that pain doesn't exist. But I just wanted to share what I felt like God spoke to me recently. I was talking to Him about how I wish I was deeper and smarter, and well, just more serious. Did He think that I had become downright silly and ridiculous? But then I thought about His Word in Galatians 5:22 where it tells us that joy is a fruit of the Spirit. I thought about Proverbs 15:13 that tells us "A merry heart makes a cheerful countenance, but by sorrow of the heart the spirit is broken."

Josh preached on joy just this last weekend and as we talked about it we discussed how stressed out and discouraged people seem all of the time. Have you noticed that? I know that I am very guilty of letting life weigh me down. I want to share a lesson with you that I learned from my depression. My depression was the worst after my first baby was born. I was married to the man of my dreams, had a healthy beautiful baby, and lived in a nice house just blocks from our families. I learned from that time that we can't count on our circumstances to make us happy. I was out driving one night and pulled into a church parking lot to pray and seek some guidance. As I left the parking lot I noticed the church sign and this is what it said, "You will show me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy." Psalm 16:11. You see, I have learned that true joy comes from being in God's presence. It comes from seeking to focus on the things Paul has told us to: "whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy-meditate on these things." Philippians 4:8

So, I wanted to write this and hope that it would encourage someone. There is a lot of hurt in this world. I pray this will be a place you find laughter. And really, how seriously can you take someone who has shoes in their refrigerator??? :O)

2 comments:

Pao Ying said...

Thank you for this great reminder!

III said...

Wonderful thoughts, Emily.

This is something I struggle with. I'm serious all the time. I meditate a lot on the big, important, serious issues of the world. Sometimes I need to take it easy & laugh more. I wish I were better at it.

And see, that's an example! (I just wrote that & realized it) Here I am bemoaning how serious I am; and taking SERIOUSLY the issue of being less serious!

That's pathological.

Anyways. I'm trying, Em. Maybe I'll get there.