Thursday, August 27, 2009

Raising Kate

Baby Kate, I just cannot believe it was 2 years ago that God brought you into our lives. I am quite certain I will never forget that day as long as I live. You decided to surprise us a month early and really I don't blame you. With the schedule I was keeping I know you needed some rest. :) You spent a week in the NICU (neonatal intensive care unit) and I only got to see you for a second the day you were born. It was sooo hard not to have you in the room with me and I pretty much felt like my heart was ripped out when I had to leave you at the hospital. But all was fine and you had some of the finest nurses we could ask for and the sweet neonatologist who I affectionately nicknamed "Dr. Diet Coke". We were kindred spirits. :) Those nurses took such good care of you and even had you all dressed up in your going home clothes when we came to pick you up. They even remembered your hairbow. And when the nurse asked me a question and I was too loopy to understand what she was asking, she just hugged me while I broke down as the impact of the whole week hit me. What special people!
We were so excited to finally have you home and all to ourselves. You just couldn't have been a sweeter more laid back baby. I was so glad. :) You just fit right into our crazy, busy life and went along for the ride. I just couldn't get enough of you!!


Time seemed to just fly by. I still couldn't get enough of you! Daddy stayed at home with you while I worked and you will never know what an impact you had on many people you never even met. I was working with people who were sick and dying and you represented new life to them, and something to look forward to and talk about. I would get in big trouble if I didn't have pictures with me!!











Now, you are 2 and I just cannot imagine life without you. You have the best laugh and I do not know how a 2 year old has the sense of humor that you do! I was singing to you one night and you put your pacifier in my mouth. Anyone who's had to hear me sing can appreciate that. :)
You love baby dolls and Barbie dolls and our dog Daisy. You say her name constantly and tell her "back!" and "stop!" while feeding her your cheese. :) Your absolute favorite thing in life is the music from Vacation Bible school. You ask all the time to play "BBS". I teach your Sunday School class and we listen to the CD the WHOLE class over and over and you sing and dance along.
At church you find Mr. Clyde and pat his pocket because he always has candy in there for you. You also live for drinking water out of the water fountain and stealing "big people glasses" of tea. One of your favorite phrases is "Wanna eat!" You get that from me. :)
You are just sweetness and I love every minute with you. Even all the minutes I spend getting you out of the refrigerator. :0) I love you Baby Kate!! Happy Birthday!











2 comments:

Lori said...

Happy Birthday Kate! What a sweet letter from Momma!!

Karen said...

How Sweet. Happy Birthday Kate!!