Friday, June 5, 2009

Fruit Basket Turnover...Fidler Style


I always tell people that you should not have kids until you decide that you have had all of the sleep you will ever need. :) Now, I hear stories of people who get babies who sleep through the night the first night home from the hospital. I didn't get one of those. I have always been a night owl and have always functioned on way less sleep than I know I need, but even I was quite unprepared for the sleep deprivation that children bring.


We are of course, way past the newborn days with our kids, but we have now moved on to the transition from the playpen to the big girl bed for Kate. After I spent an hour on Sunday putting Kate back in the playpen that she continually climbed out of, I decided to just bite the bullet and pack that playpen up. I mean, really, once they can climb out of it faster than you can leave the room it really is no longer serving it's purpose, right?


So, last night was the night. I was soooo excited. I only had to put Kate back in 4 times and then she fell asleep!!! Woo-hoo!! However, I was coming out of the bathroom at 2:00 this morning and Sarah was in my bed. I woke her up and told her to get back in her bed. About 10 minutes later I was in that phase where you are almost asleep and Kate came wandering in. I got up and took her back to her room and Sarah was in her bed!!!! I woke Sarah up again and told her to get in her bed. I put Kate in her bed. By the time I got back to our room, Eli was laying on the floor by my side of the bed! I cannot for the life of me figure out why our kids would leave perfectly good beds to sleep on hardwood floors!?!? No sooner than I laid down I heard Kate's chubby feet hit the floor. Those hardwood floors that made me cringe when they would creak as I walked away from putting a sleeping newborn to bed now serve as a warning system! Kate was soon back in our room trying to take Eli's blanket. This time Josh put her back.


Last night was nothing compared to the night before when there was an accident and Kate ended up getting in bed with me and brought the wet blanket I had thrown on the floor in the hall. Ew! Then about 15 minutes later I awoke to find her in Eli's bed. She was sitting over him holding a can of spray paint. Lord help us all!!!!!!!


Needless to say, I'm not feeling so rested today. I did eat an oreo cookie for breakfast. I figure if I'm going to be so active at night, I can afford a few more calories. :)

5 comments:

III said...

These entries always help me be more thankful for being single.

Lori said...

We didn't get one of those newborns who sleep either, but several of my friends have so I must believe they do exist.

So funny!

Karen said...

Spray Paint!!! Good grief! Life has been kinda dull here lately...I think I'll come hang out with yall :)

RobinL1982 said...

I got one of the babies that slept through the night at 6 weeks, but I have been assured that you only get one!! This maybe the reason that I never have another one! Maybe you should start napping during the day time! Or you could try just letting them sleep with you!

Emily :) said...

Philip-LOL! I started this blog to encourage people, but I didn't realize it would encourage people to want to be single!!!

Lori-They do exist. But, I have the feeling that their parents don't appreciate sleep the same way we do!

Karen-Yes, spray paint!!! The only way I can Kate proof this house is to put everything on the roof!!

Robin-I'm lucky right now b/c Josh is home. He lets me sleep in! I don't know about the theory that you only get one sleeping baby. Eli only got up once or twice a night as opposed to Sarah and Kate's every 2 hours.