Monday, June 1, 2009

The Ending of an Era....

In the deep words of country singer Tim McGraw "I think I'll take a moment and celebrate my age. The ending of an era, and the turning of a page." In case you are wondering why I am quoting country songs on this here blog now, I will tell you. My microwave died.

Yes, it may seem strange to you that I am quoting songs and getting sentimental over an appliance, but this is not just any appliance. You see, when I packed up to head off to college 10 years ago(OH MY GOSH!!!) this microwave came with me. I purchased it for $40 at Wal-Mart. This microwave has burnt more popcorn and heated up more spaghettios than you could ever imagine. And what college kid can survive without Ramen noodles?

So....this is a moment for me. And my best friend Karen. She was my roomate at school and we bonded over many bowls of spaghettios. We also horrified our mothers the day they came to move us home and saw the science experimental state the poor thing was in. But we cleaned it up and it moved on with me into my first years of marriage and motherhood. What a faithful, loyal appliance it has been. And for only $4 a year as Karen pointed out. :)

It is late and my week has been so full of true tragedy and sadness that I will spare you anymore grieving over my microwave. I just wanted to document this "turning of a page". Where, oh where do 10 years go????

Karen and I back in the day

I may lose my best friend as well as my microwave for posting this, but no college story is complete without this picture of Karen thawing out spinach with our iron because we did not know you could do it in the microwave. Seriously. Oh yeah, we were making spinach dip, don' worry, we weren't actually attempting to eat health. By the way, only I could make a picture crooked on the scanner. :)

3 comments:

Karen said...

LOLOLOL!!! Memories! "Old Faithful" was a wonderful microwave. And for anyone reading this, we did know that you could thaw spinich in the microwave, we were just afraid it would cook and that would not have been good. In case anyone was wondering - although we lured our neighbors in our room with the yumme smells (the garlic made them think we were cooking an Italian feast) the spinich dip was not that great. I have since discovered prepared Spinich dip that only requires a spoon for serving - no iron. :) Incidentially, I no longer eat spinich dip...

Karen said...

**Yummy** (do know how to spell...just not how to type apparently.)

Lori said...

That's a great pic of you and Karen. I can't believe the spinach dip wasn't good when you used the iron to thaw it out and everything!!

HA HA! So sorry about the demise of the microwave:(