Thursday, June 25, 2009

Showtime!


I've mentioned several times that I grew up taking dance lessons. Now, lots of people took dance lessons growing up, but I lived and breathed dance. A lot of people have several hobbies and interests, but not me. I just wanted to dance. I still remember my last dance recital and how it was so much more emotional and sad than my high school graduation. And now, almost 10 years later, dance has come back into my life.




Saturday night Sarah Beth will take the stage in her first dance recital. I cannot tell you how giddy I am. Lest I sound like a stage mom living out my dream through my daughter, you need to know that she LOVES dance. Mostly because her teacher Mrs. Dana is so sweet and does such a good job with her. Anyway, while I have tried not to force my interests on her, I wont' lie and say that I am not OVERJOYED that she loves dancing as much as me! My life has been so empty of aqua net, the smell of spray painted ballet shoes, and glitter eye shadow. Oh how I have longed for the excitement of getting a program listing the order of the dances. Recital time was always my favorite time of year. The lights, the sounds, the decorations. You may not believe this since I now share all of the details of my life on the internet, but I used to be extremely shy and the power of going on stage and being someone else was thrilling. I just loved all of it. I remember going from a little girl who watched the "big girls" in awe to becoming one of the "big girls" leading those little girls by the hand onto the stage. I adored safety pinning and bobby pinnning and tying laces. I mostly loved getting to live in the world of performers, even if it was just for a night.




I cannot finish this without reliving another favorite dance recital moment. We always had big, elaborate dance program books with all of the girl's pictures and notes from family. I loved when moms would write cute notes using the names of the songs the girls were dancing to. I just have to do it. Don't worry Sarah, one day you will love the cheesiness!




Sarah Beth, it puts an uncontrollable grin on my face to see you have so much fun dancing.


Tonight, as you dance like "Cinderella" your mama will be acting like a "Maniac" taking pictures and applauding.


We will all be in awe when we see that "Baby's Got Her Blue Jeans On".


You are going to do such a great job that we will have no choice but to shout "Great Balls of Fire"!


Some people may wonder how you do so well and say "Uh Oh It's Magic",


but we know the truth.


All good gifts come from the Father and we thank Him for your talent and hard work!






Okay, this gushing mama will try to contain herself now. It is just so fun to see your babies enjoy the talents they've been given! And oh yea, I've gotta keep my eye on Eli now. He told me today "You know what I like about the dancing is the shaking". :)

2 comments:

Lori said...

She's adorable! A friend of mine was just saying today that dancers are graceful their entire lives b/c of that training so I guess that applies to you! Sounds like some great songs in their!! My fav is "Baby's Got Her Blue Jeans On":)

Karen said...

That is so sweet. Good Luck Sarah!!