Friday, August 6, 2010

Friday Night Funnies

I have story after story and picture after picture to share with you of this, our week in preparation for school. Yes, I'm sending my kids to school this year. Yes, I feel like a total failure and a homeschool Mom dropout. That will be another post for another day. Anyway, all the stories and picture taking of this week have left me, not only tired, but a little lacking in the forming complete sentences area. So, I was browsing through some old blogs and found these short little stories from days past that made me smile. I love that Sarah and Eli were the ages that Eli and Kate are now. Hope they make you smile too.....

CUTE

March 8, 2008

I have a funny that I just had to share. It comes courtesy of my 5 year old Sarah Beth, who has recently developed the talent to say the most hilarious things and have no idea what is so funny about them.

Sarah Beth has also developed the ability to read in the last few months, something we are very proud of. Before I share this story I must first tell you that Sarah is the same child who on the first day of school when her teacher asked her if she could write her name replied, "No, that's what I'm here for." :) That's my Sarah.

Well, tonight Sarah had her reading book out and was going through and sounding out the words. Then she would tell me what the word meant. She read several and then she sounded out "Cute". She looked at me as serious as a heart attack and said, "That's what we are sometimes when we behave"!!!!!!!!!!!!! Out of the mouth of babes! :)

*****************************************************************

RACE RELATIONS ACCORDING TO SARAH BETH
April 11, 2009


As a mom I know that I can't shelter my children forever. I've always felt that my goal shouldn't be to shelter them, but to teach them how to deal with the reality that life throws their way.

Boy, has the teaching started sooner than I thought! A few weeks ago Josh told me about a conversation he had with Sarah Beth. Eli was wanting to watch Dora and normally Sarah would have wanted to also. But this day she told Eli, "Dora is a Mexican." Josh was taken aback. He asked Sarah, "Do you think it's bad to be Mexican?" Sarah shook her head yes. Josh asked her why and she didn't know. Josh then explained that being a Mexican just means you live in Mexico like Sarah is a Mississippian because she lives in Mississippi. She understood.

Well, a couple of weeks after that Sarah had a story to tell us. She said that some kids at her school were calling her friend a Mexican. She said, "I told them she was not a Mexican because she don't live in Mexican she lives beside me! Those kids in my class think they know everything but they don't, I'm the only one that knows everything!"

I'm very proud to have a child who stands up for her friends. And yes, I will be voting for Sarah Beth for president. She'll have her kindergarten degree in May!! :)

*******************************************************************
NO DANCING IN CHURCH
June 5, 2008

A while back one of the ladies at our church asked my 3 year old son Eli if he was going to be a preacher like his daddy. He replied, "No, I'm gonna be Superman!" Duh!

Well, despite his insistence that he will not follow in his daddy's footsteps I'm fairly certain he is already a Baptist preacher. For those of you who may not be familiar with Baptist tradition, there is no dancing allowed. I once did a ballet dance to a Christian song at a tent revival and the preacher later preached about how I caused people to fornicate. At the time I did not know what that meant. Now that I do I think I may have chosen the wrong career! Ha! Just kidding!

Anyway, on Sunday we were in the fellowship hall after a baby shower and Eli was putting his shoes on. (My kids cannot leave their shoes on for 5 minutes). I was holding Kate and I had on a new dress that was long and flowing. I just couldn't help it, I had to spin. I may be the preacher's wife, but dancing is in my blood. I think I used to be so skinny because I would actually stand up and dance around while I was eating. Well, Kate enjoyed the twirl, but Eli was not amused. He got his very serious face and said, "Stop dancing!" I said, "You don't want me to dance?" He answered, "No. We don't dance in the fe-fe-shellowship hall." (That's a hard word for a 3 year old!)

I had to laugh. To make it even funnier after he told me we don't dance in church he said, "We only dance in cages." What have my kids been learning in Sunday School?

I'm just happy to report that whatever church tradition may be I serve a wonderful savior who "turned for me my mourning into dancing". Psalm 30:11. How can I help but dance?
 
 
******************************************************************
How was your week? Do you have any funnies to share?

No comments: