Friday, August 27, 2010

The Night the Lights Went Out in Florida

I am so frustrated right now I could scream, but I DO NOT want to wake my 3 sleeping babies, so I will blog instead. I am frustrated because I really need to call my BFF, Karen. We actually planned a phone date tonight. And even if we hadn't, I really need to call her. You know how sometimes you just have to talk to somebody? Yes, this is one of those times. Are you wondering what happened to my phone? You wouldn't be shocked one bit if I told you it was a long story, would you? That's what I thought.

Well, our Friday was going so well. Josh and I both went together to pick the kids up from school and went by the Pig to order a cake for Kate. Then, we picked up some steaks for supper. Josh is totally taking advantage of my needing to eat more iron right now. Very good excuse for steaks. :) Anyway, all was well. We even had a spiritual moment. At least Kate did. At least she thought she did. When we pulled into the parking lot she said, "There's Jesus!" It was actually just a pirate. You may remember him from this post. Somehow he has been moved from the fishing store to the Pig. What can I say, that pirate is getting around.
We came home and had a great supper. We let the puppies out to run and it is so fun to watch them. One of the puppies, Ida, looks just like Daisy and is so her mini me. She stays right with Daisy wherever she goes. I told Josh tonight I have the feeling we will be adding 7 names to our Christmas card this year. There have been no takers for the puppies and we just get more attached every day.

Well, the drama really started after supper. Sarah is finally able to change her earrings and was so excited to put in a new pair. We had a really hard time getting the other ones out and then an even harder time getting a new one in. My child is totally wearing two different earrings right now.  I'm hoping we can change the other in the morning. If not, my new fall trend may be two different earrings. Will y'all join us in that trend, please?

So, we finally survived that drama and got the kids to bed. We began the nightly clean up and we realized that something was leaking under the fridge. Well, Josh pulled out the fridge and the line to the ice maker was spewing water. Josh announced we would have to turn off the water. I of course asked, "Say what? For how long?" Josh gave me a very annoyed look and asked me if we have a flashlight. I headed to the laundry room which is where a flashlight would be if we had one. But the light is blown in the laundry room so I couldn't look for one. So, we decided to use the light of our cell phones. Um, don't try that. We stumbled through the yard (our light at the front door is blown too) and I started calling for Josh because I couldn't see 2 feet in front of me. If anybody else could see us I'm sure we were a sight holding our phones up in the air calling for each other. We soon realized this idea stunk and so I offered to drive the Jeep over so he could see by the headlights. He looked for about 5 seconds and discovered he couldn't get the cap off.

We went back in to do a temporary fix. I recommended a Wal-Mart bag, a washcloth and some duct tape wrapped around it. Josh laughed at me, but said to try it if I wanted to. He went to find a bucket to put under the leak. As he headed out back to look for a bucket I noticed, you guessed it, the light out back was blown too. As of now it is wrapped in a Wal-Mart bag, and washcloth and my trash can from the bathroom is catching the waterfall of water coming from the ice maker. Josh just left to go find a part. I changed into my pj's to get ready for a long phone call and couldn't find my phone. Oh no! Did I leave it in the Jeep???

Thankfully, during the writing of this my phone began vibrating in the cushions of the couch. So I'm going to sit in my dark, leaky house and have a good conversation. Tomorrow will be the changing of the light bulbs. Please pray we won't be swimming through the kitchen!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Amber said...

Emily that happened to us too, and the water was spewing everywhere and we were laughing so hard that we could barely get it stopped. That was one funny night for us too, glad your idea worked for the moment :p

Karen said...

It was a great conversation though! :)

Unknown said...

tell sarah that wearing multiple non-matching earrings is already a trend...well, at least it was 2 summers ago in Taiwan. i wear non-matching earrings daily (usually 3 at a time). it is a rare day when i wear two earrings that match. so, in my book of fashion, sarah is as cool as they come!