Saturday, September 26, 2009

This Blog Post is Brought To You Today By The Letter

Have you ever been miserably sick to the point that you can't sleep, but you have neither the energy or ability to do anything else? That is where I have been this week and it was as I lay in my bed staring at my disturbingly unorganized closet that this caught my eye....


Oh, my beautiful purse. Isn't it so cute? I got this purse 3 years ago after some of the ladies at the church gave me a gift card to Belk's for Christmas. I was so proud of this purse. It was the perfect neutral to go with everything and just the perfect size. So why, you may ask yourself, has this divine accessory been banned to the hook in the closet. I will show you why....


I still remember clearly the day I got to work and placed my purse on my desk. I set about shuffling through the bazillion pieces of paper on my desk and was returning a phone call when I saw it...my name. Minus the i. EMLY. Sarah was 4 at the time and had just started to learn names. Up until this point she had been a graffiti vandal like you would not believe. I cannot even tell you how many times she had been in trouble for drawing on the walls. But, this was a first. No scribbles, no unrecognizable figures. She had written my name. I was proud! And then I was devastated! She wrote my name on my pretty leather purse! I mean as proud of it as I was, I was not exactly thrilled to have it labeled in this way.
So that brings me back to my sick day in the bed wondering why I have saved that purse when I know that there is no way I can get the ink out of it. I'm still in denial, y'all. I also had the thought lying in the bed that I was so thankful that she has since grown out of that phase. Why do I think such things?
Just hours later I had dragged my pitiful self into the living room and plopped down in the recliner, only to find this...


Seriously? I of course had to ask who had committed this crime even though I knew exactly who had done it. I called the little vandal out by name and four year old Eli did what all four year old siblings do. He blamed it on Kate! I don't know how to make my kids understand that once you start writing actual letters and numbers you cannot blame it on the baby!!!
And besides....Kate prefers to write on herself..



As Jeff Foxworthy's mama says "We just can't have nice things!!!"
So here is my question-I know other people who have little kids and also have very nice homes and cars. Here's what I need to know-Where do you keep your kids????????????

No comments: