Sunday, December 26, 2010

The Gift That Keeps on Giving

Memories. That is what the title refers to. My memories have never meant as much to me as they did this year. All month long, I have wanted to laugh with my Daddy. Of all things. During a time when I expected to be plagued with painful memories of last Christmas or struggling through guilt and loss, I've just wanted to laugh. With my Dad. When I've missed him recently, I've missed his smile and his laugh. And his sense of humor. He had the best one. He could make me cry and wet myself at the same time, he was that funny. He didn't just make me laugh, he made me laugh during times in life that otherwise made me want to cry or crawl in a hole. I shared this picture last year, but I'm going to share it again. Because it completely exhibits what I've been missing this year....

Oh my gracious. Family pictures. They are so nice to have to look back on, but man are they a pain in the hiney to get! Especially with a 2 year old and a baby. I wish I could remember what my Daddy said. I don't, but obviously it cracked me up. To me, this picture perfectly sums up my relationship with my Dad. During the times of life that were stressful, crazy or sad, he could make me laugh.
Christmas 2007

I feel like God has paid close attention to my heart's desire to laugh with my Dad. All throughout the month memories have come to mind of laughable moments, and trust me, if you know my memory, God sent them! One of my favorite memories came Thursday night before Christmas. Josh and I finally had the opportunity to go do our shopping for the kids and as we perused the store I was amused by the number of men who were obviously last minute shopping for their wives. At Wal-Mart I had a man ask me in a whisper, "Excuse me, do you come to Wal-Mart often?" I began to wonder if this was a pick-up line. I was tempted to answer with, "Do birds fly?" but he quickly followed up that question with, "Do they have rice cookers here?" Bless his heart. I honestly had no idea. I started to tell him where he could find the Hamburger Helper when a woman came walking up. I sincerely hoped she had begged and cried for a rice cooker and that it was truly what she wanted.

Minutes later I saw a man pushing a buggy with a poinsetta in it. In that moment I decided I should really start a business to help men shop for their significant others at Christmas time. Really, I wanted to advise him that a Christmas plant was probably not on his wife's wishlist. Then again, I could be wrong. I later saw him in the make-up aisle. Oh brother. I shared this with Josh and he responded with, "Never try to get make-up unless you have specific names and colors."  I've trained my man well. I hope this other  man was also armed with a detailed list. Bless his heart.

Anyway, all of this brought back memories of shopping with my Dad on Christmas Eve for my Mom. Without fail he would always get her a John Grisham book, her favorite perfume and usually some chocolate covered almonds. If he wanted to branch out he would take me. I can still remember flying from store to store in rapid fashion and him saying, "This is how you do it. You just go in, get what you want, and get outta  here."  All week I had stressed that we we're waiting so close to Christmas to shop (especially when funerals and ear infections entered our week), but Thursday night turned into one of my favorite Christmas memories.  Making memories with Josh and feeling close to my Dad.

Speaking of last minute shopping, Josh still hadn't shopped for me. So, as we went to different stores (flying through them, Roger Strickland style) I would point out things that I thought were cute. After we shopped for the kids Josh dropped me off at Books-A-Million where I settled down with a chai latte and a book while he flew back to pick out my presents. It occurred to me that I need to train my girls well for the day he takes them shopping with him. :) Getting to sit and read a book could have been my present, but I trusted he would do good since my list was so fresh on his mind.

He did very good! One of my favoritest gifts is a coat that I just casually made note of on our way out of the mall. I mentioned that it wasn't very practical because it was green. I usually stick with browns and blacks just out of practicality. I figured when I said that he wouldn't think anything else about it. But he got it! And not only did he get it, but he got a really good deal and he knows that 75% off  and winter coats are my love language! :) Sarah is my daughter. She picked out the coat she has on MONTHS ago and of all of her presents this one must have been special. She reached over and hugged me when she opened it. *Wipes tear*.
   
It's another special memory because one of my favorite gifts of all time was a jean jacket I got when I was about Sarah's age. The reason it was so special was that my Daddy picked it out. My Mom has always been the gift person, and getting something that my Dad picked out himself was a really big deal to me. Who knew a person could be so sentimental over coats? Leave it to me.....

I had so much fun shopping with Josh for the kids. Let's face it, it's just fun to shop for toys! Is it just me? Every year we talk about how we are going to cut back the number of presents our kids get and every year I push the number back up just a little. I can't help it. It just brings out the kid in me. I have tried really hard over the last couple of years to be in tune with what the kids really want (as opposed to just what I want them to have) and also research and find out the things that will last and be worth the  money. 'Cause we have sho nuff wasted some money on toys in our day! Well, the one thing I always want to get my girls, whether they want them or not, is dolls. I LOVED babydolls when I was little and I would still be playing with them if my real kids didn't require so much attention. Just kidding. Kind of.....Anyway, I am a little obsessive over finding the perfect doll for my girls. Last year we got Sarah an Our Generation doll which is the Target version of the American Girl dolls. It took Kate about 23 and 1/2 seconds to cover that baby in nail polish and I never was able to get it out. Poor Sarah. So, she asked for another one this year and I found the perfect one. Her name is Jenny and she is a baker! She came with all of the baking accessories and I just knew she was perfect for my daughter who, despite being my daughter, loves to be in the kitchen and bake.

Kate was the tough one. There are only a trillion babydolls on the market and I had to find just the right one for her. Or ones. Y'all, we got her twins. They talk to each other. A lot. One of them must have talked the whole way from the north pole because her batteries were dead before we could finish opening presents. The other one will not shut up! I know, I brought this on myself. I knew I was really in trouble when she (the doll, not Kate) was dropped on her head and started saying, "MOM! HELP ME! HELP ME MOM!" Oh no. Never fear, Sarah had already turned her off by that night. She said she talked too much. In the same conversation she also told me she wanted a new sister. I informed her I haven't given birth to a child yet that came with an off switch.....

                                                        Isn't Kate a great little mommy?
Well, we all have our moments in motherhood, don't we?
I have a little confession here. I *may* have picked these dolls because of these really cute shoes that came with them.
I kind of sort of had a moment in Toys 'R Us when it dawned on me that maybe I just wanted to buy baby clothes and shoes. Josh came to speak sense into me. I thought. I thought he was going to tell me to get a grip and that we were shopping for a doll and to get over the shoes. Instead, he picked up those silver sneakers and said, "They need some twinkle toes, too." I heart my husband! We have since discovered that while the shoes are the same brand as the dolls, they don't actually fit the dolls we got. Dern. You might think we would take the shoes back. Nope. We will just have to find a doll they fit. :) Come to think of it, Josh is probably just trying to keep me focused on dolls as he reminisces about the cost of real baby gear!

Before you give me too hard of a time, I don't think I'm the only parent around here who has had a little too much fun with the Santa presents....
                                       Don't worry, we let Eli play with it every now and then....

Call me a wimpy Mom, but I am much happier with a skateboard that stays on the carpet.

As tough as this Christmas has been, it has had it's share of sweet and fun memories too. Like driving through the ghetto looking at Christmas lights in the church van with Matt and Cortnee. While Matt sang"Ice, Ice Baby". I can't explain it. But I'll never forget it. :) Like my Mama taking our Christmas pics that I decided not to use for Christmas cards. I got some great ones of her though!

In fact, I am overwhelmed trying to decide what pictures and experiences to share. Maybe I will be able to share more later. If not, hopefully Josh will remember them so he can tell me about them later as I have a 5 minute memory. I cannot end this blog though without telling you the story of this season that began with panic and ended with hysterical laughter. It could only happen to me, y'all!

You see, about a week ago we were watching something and Josh said, "Whatever happened to that "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" show?"  I said I didn't know and teasingly asked if he missed it. Well, fast forward to this past week and I was at the grocery store picking up some sandwich meat and stuff for our pastor and his family. You may remmeber me talking about how much he and his wife ministered to us last year when my Daddy was in the hospital. Sadly, his MIL spent the most of last week in the ICU. I wanted to show them just a tiny bit of the kindess they had shown us and anyway, there is a reason I'm sharing all of this. As I was checking out, I just happened to notice that next to the candy and tabloids there was a "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" DVD!!!! For a dollar! I couldn't help it. I had to get it as a joke for Josh's stocking. Well, I checked out and headed by Bro. Randy's house to drop off some stuff and talked with him for a few minutes. It wasn't until I had made the 40 minute drive home and was turning onto my street that panic struck. WHAT BAG WAS THAT DVD IN???????? OH. MY.WORD.!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAD I JUST LEFT A "QUEER EYE FOR THE STRAIGHT GUY" DVD AT MY PREACHER'S HOUSE????????  There are no words y'all. I was just imagining Bro. Randy opening a bag full of sandwich meat and cheese and.....that dern DVD. Only me, y'all. Thankfully, after jumping out of the jeep almost after it came to a complete stop and tearing through the bags in the back, it was there!!!! Praise the Lord.  I didn't know how I was going to explain that one. Seems humiliation is also a gif that keeps on giving!!!!!!!

5 comments:

The Story of Us said...

Just heard "Are you alright over there?" Because I was laughing so hard at the dvd mishap! You never fail to crack me up!

Karen said...

I LOVE the DVD story - I'm still laughing. So thankful your Christmas, as bitterswett as I'm sure it was, was a time for making new memories - and I'm sure your Dad was laughing with you. ((hugs))

Lauran said...

What a happy Christmas recap! I thought about y'all alot over the weekend and I am so glad you had a joyful Christmas with your sweet family. Lots of hugs & love from the Ellis nest :)

Lori said...

Laughing at your DVD story!! And I heart yours and Sarah's coats!! I got my green one last year and I got a RED one this year. Did you get yours from Belk's b/c mine was like 75% off too - seems like clearance and winter coats are my love language too! I would only add shoes to the list:)

I loved hearing about your Christmas and you know the part that made me green with envy, don't you? The latte and time with no kids at Books-a-Million! I prefer Barnes and Noble but sometimes any bookstore and latte will do:)

Together We Save said...

The memories of Christmas past are the best things about Christmas to me.