Sunday, May 23, 2010

Thank God for Little Girls and Tow Trucks

If I've said it once, I've said it a million times. My family doesn't do a dern thing without drama. Not a thing. You wouldn't expect the birth of the newest little beauty in our family to be any different now would you?

This latest bit of excitement began last Tuesday night. I spent Tuesday recovering from our ER experience the night before. I talked with my sister who was really bummed out that she couldn't be induced that day and she had taken my almost 2 year old nephew grocery shopping in hopes that she would aggravate herself into labor. :) My mom, brother and I had already made plans to leave out Wednesday afternoon so we could spend a little time with Jenny before she was induced on Friday. I had scheduled a follow-up dr.'s appointment for Kate at 8:00 Wednesday morning so I would be sure to be done and ready to hit the road.

While I was making supper that night I got news that Jenny was having regular contractions and she was going to wait until they laid Luke down for bed, then head to the hospital. That still gave me a few hours and I knew that even then, there was always the chance they would send her back home. After supper I headed to the Dollar General and my Mom called saying it was official, they were keeping her at the hospital. My Mom works on a dinner cruise that goes out in the bay and she was at work prepping for dinner that night. She couldn't decide if she should go ahead and work or not. She told me to call Phil. Everybody in Dollar General heard all about our plans that night. We decided my Mom should just work and we would leave out when she was done. She decided she was just heading home! So, I went home, took a bath, got dressed, finished packing and we headed to my Mom's. We loaded all of our stuff into her and car and cranked it up. It made the most horrible sound you have ever heard. So, we got out, unloaded and reloaded into Phil's car. We were finally heading out.

After stopping at a rest area that was more like a mini camping vacation, we were determined not to stop until we got to the hospital. Jenny was sending regular texts to keep us updated and things were moving along. Unfortunately, about an hour and a half into our trip, we weren't. My Mom was on the phone and Phil was saying something about a light coming on and the next thing I knew we were pulled over on the side of I-10, broke down. At 1:30 am. We were on the phone with Josh trying to get long distance mechanic advice. My Mom was looking at an Avon catalog. I got out to investigate. If you've read my blog for very long you know that I have some experience with broke down cars. My specialty is blowing up engines.



Phil was on my phone talking to Josh and I decided to check things out. Nothing looked blown up and there was no green stuff leaking. I knew that was good. Unfortunately, that was the only good news. After that we spent an hour in the dark waiting on a tow truck that we had no idea where to tell it to take us. My Mom kept saying she wished somebody would stop to help us, but I kept thinking, "NO! Please don't let anybody stop!" Because seriously, people who stop at 2:00 in the morning are more likely to kill you than to help you. Am I right, here???

The tow truck finally arrived and sure enough, the guy looked like a serial killer. My Mom asked me later if I got a picture of him and I told her that he did not seem up for a photo shoot, know what I mean? While we watched the car being loaded on the trailor do you know what came wandering by? A POSSUM! I'm telling you, I am like the queen of the rodent population. Can't go anywhere without them. We loaded up in the tow truck and all I could think was, "How many times will I ride in tow trucks with serial killer look alikes in my life?" Thankfully, he was a nice guy and he took us to drop the car off at an auto place and waited for us to reload all of our stuff into his truck so he could drop us off at a hotel up the road. We were delirious by that point. When we got to the desk the guy asked how many nights we needed the room and Phil told him just one.I then jokingly said "Or an hour or so."  The guy gave me quite a look and I started to explain that I was with  my Mom and brother, but then I decided that would probably just sound even stranger. I just let it go and went to find the vending machine.

It was when I climbed into the bed with my Reese's Cup that the whole night made sense. There, on the wrapper, it said, "You can win $2 Million instantly".  "This is it!" I exclaimed. "This is why all of this happened. So we would end up at this hotel and I would get this Reese's Cup!"


Here I am moments before opening my prize...


And here I am after reading "Sorry, you are not a winner". I was trying to make a really sad face, but I was so unbelievably, deliriously silly by this point. It was much funnier at 3 in the morning. I promise.

Luckily, my last few weeks of not being able to sleep before 2 am really paid off this night. I didn't even think I would go to sleep at all, but I finally did. For a few hours. :)  We got up a little before 7:00 and we were able to get a hold of Jenny's best friend, Jenn, who luckily lives in Tally where we were passing our time. She came and picked Phil up and took him to the car place where the damage was told. Nothing can start a day off worse than a quote from a mechanic. We started looking at renting a car, but there were no places that would let us just rent the car for the day. Finally, we just decided to have the car fixed and wait the estimated 3 hours. While we enjoyed our continental breakfast we got the news that Baby Lyla had made her entrance into the world.

Soon, we got this pic on our phones. So, I had to have my first pic with Lyla. :)


After our wait at the hotel that included monopolizing the lobby's computer, obssesive texting, and obnoxious yelling "She looks like me! She looks like me!" Jenn came back to taxi us back to the car place. Hallelujah!

Not everybody gets to hang out in  places like this on their road trips....


FINALLY, we were on the road. For real. We stopped by Burger King for lunch and it just happened to be the BK Josh and I used to drive across town to eat at when I was pregnant with Sarah because I HAD to have whopper jr's. Had to. Come to think of it, most of my memories of Tally are the places I broke down and the places I ate because of pregnancy cravings. What a full circle moment. :)

All was well until we got into the town the hospital was at and we got stopped by a train! And not just any train. One of those trains that kept stopping, backing up, going forward, backing up, you know they kind that make you want to scream ugly words out the car window. I mean, not that preacher's wives ever want to do that.....Anyway, I had joked for the last few weeks about catching the Midnight Train to Georgia. After watching this train I decided it was better to take the broke down car!!!!!


Our 3 and a half hour trip turned into an  almost 24 hour mini-vacay. Okay, maybe that is not the right word. :) But, when we got to the hospital, it was all SOOO worth it!



If I look like I only got 3 hours of sleep and I slept in my clothes, well.....yeah. :) My sister who was in labor for hours and had just given birth, looked awesome though!

After loving on my new favorite niece Phil and I headed to Jenny's house to pick up the big brother for his first meeting with little Miss.

Jenny had told me about this, a binder she had prepared with Luke's schedule and all other important info. She seemed to think I might be a little offended by it, but I thought it was the greatest thing ever! I totally crack up at how funny life is. Growing up Jenny was the wild child, party girl. I was the church going honor student. We are SOO different as Mom's than I thought we would be. She is super organized, scheduled and has it all together. I'm, well.....y'all read my blog. Y'all know what I'm like. :)


After supper and a bath it was time for the first meeting!

Is he the cutest big brother or what??

My beautiful sister and her precious babies. I never knew I could love any other kids as much as I love my own!!!

I am so thankful I got to be a part of this amazing moment and I would have taken 85 tow trucks to get there!!!!!!!

5 comments:

Patty Jo said...

Congratulations!!!!!! She's beautiful and you're the best Aunt ever!!!! :)

AMANDA RIDDLE said...

LOVE THIS STORY.THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE WORTH WAITING FOR. AND IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAD TO WAIT AND WAIT AND WAIT.LOL.

Karen said...

Hilarious. Love the pic of Jenny, Lyla & Luke - How in the world had she just given birth??? I don't look that put together when I've spent hours getting ready!! Not fair! Anyway, congrats Aunty Em! Lyla is beautiful & wonderfully blessed to have such a wonderful family!

Lori said...

You absolutely CANNOT do anything without drama but it's really, really funny to read about!

Congratulations on the new neice!! She's adorable!

III said...

"Or an hour or so."

bwahahahahaha!!