Sunday, July 19, 2009

The Sitcom of my Life

WARNING: I am two months away from my 10 year high school reunion and my child just turned seven. I also threw away the last bottle (that belonged to Kate, not my 7 year old :) and I'm just gonna be honest...I am a sentimental fool right now. One of my friends who I've known since 7th grade called the other day and we started talking about high school memories. I can truly say that I have the worst memory known to mankind, but lately memories of senior year have come flooding back.

Pep rallies, ballgames, dances, um classes. (We found a way to squeeze those in sometimes. :) I found some notes written between my friends and myself and I have to tell you, the sheer number of boys whose names were written in code that I can't remember is overwhelming! If you are waiting for me to get to a serious point with all of this I'm not. Honestly, I've been feeling downright silly and giddy lately.

I'm also in total shock that I have a seven year old. I don't know why, but I'm really having a hard time wrapping my mind around it. I think that it is because for me, my life started at seven. I already told you I have a horrible memory. I have a few memories from when I was younger, but for the most part everything in life that I remember happened after seven. To tell you the truth, I think that I'm as amazed that I'm not still seven myself!! I promise I just turned seven! I was reminded of this when Sarah and her friend wanted to watch a movie that is all the rage with the teenagers right now. I, of course, told her absolutely not. I couldn't believe that she would even want to see it when there are still so many Strawberry Shortcake movies left in the series. :) Then, it hit me. I was seven when Dirty Dancing came out. I really wanted to see it. Why? Because everybody I knew wanted to see it! Duh! Well, my mom told me absolutely not, so I did what you would expect a good preacher's wife to do. I watched it at my friend's house when I spent the night. Sorry mama!! For the record, I was not the preacher's wife then.

So, as you can see I am just full of sentiment and emotions. I was also grateful that no one I know was out last night as I was driving around singing Whitney Houston's "How Will I Know?" at the top of my lungs. I had to laugh as I realized that is another seven year old memory and why the heck was I already worried about how I would know if boys were in love with me?

Anyway, all of this sentiment and memories has caused me to ponder my life's journey and consider life up to this point. I could get all mushy and go on and on about the unbelievable journey God has taken me on and the incredible ways that I've seen His grace and mercy. It would all be very true. But because I'm feeling so stinkin' silly I am going to tell you about my life in TV terms. You see, I had such dreams of being a leading lady (not on tv, but in my own life). You know, the one who is classy, sophisticated and has the world at her fingertips. Oh, and perfect hair, don't forget the hair. The woman who always says and does the right things and people's jaws drop as she walks by due to her sheer awesomeness. Like one of Charlie's Angels or something.

Well, in case you haven't gathered from reading my blog, I am not that gal. In fact, just this week I had the realization that my life has become a sitcom. Seriously, if you think writers make up the stuff on your favorites shows, I doubt it. I think they are probably just all parents. At one point this week I was getting on to my kids as I walked out of the bathroom and I just happened to look at myself in the mirror. I was still in my pajamas (dont' ask what time it was), my hair would have looked better if it had been in curlers, and I was waving a toilet brush to emphasize my point. Good gracious!! Just moments later I slipped on a skirt in Sarah's room and did a split. Back in my high school days I could have handled a split, but now! Holy cow, I'm surprised I'm up and walking today! Later when I finally got to the bathroom I was trying to clean ,Kate slipped in the 8 gallons of bath bubbles that had "mysteriously" ended up on the floor. We were dropping like flies. That's when it hit me. I'm not one of Charlie's Angels, I'm a Lucy!!

So there you have it. I have a seven year old and I've turned into Lucille Ball. I do still have two months until my reunion. I just need to achieve world peace, get a cool car, and become a millionaire. It could happen by September, right???

BTW, I asked the preacher (aka my husband) what he missed the most about our high school days. I expected him to say something about the fun times or having no responsibilities. Nah. He said what he missed most was seeing me in my pep rally outfit. :) Just so you know, the odds of me becoming a millionaire and solving world hunger are much greater than me getting back into that outfit!!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have me cracking up! My husband dug the pep rally uniforms too LOL

The Story of Us said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE This blog!
1. Gosh do I remember Dirty Dancing coming out! Girls now dont even know what it is or think its outdated.. So sad!
2. My first concert was to Whitney Houston. I got the tickets for my 10th birthday... Best birthday ever! I had a VCR tape of her music videos and still to this day can remember every one. How Will I Know being one of my favorites!
3. I always think of you as a leading lady. I imagine many people in your congregation think so too as well as your beautiful little ladies.
4. Oh the pep rally uniforms! Since that was my uniform for a year before I became a Ramette I remember them fondly... Is there a feeling in the world though like putting on the actual uniform with your hair in a french braid and your cheeks as rosy as a china doll and lipstick only acceptable on a street corner? Gosh I never in my life felt so special!
Thanks for the memories!

Lori said...

I sneaked around and watched Dirty Dancing too:) Still one of my favorites!!

Loved this post - and EVERYBODY loves Lucy!! (although I have a feeling you may be more of a leading lady than you think - sure sounds like you are Josh's leading lady anyway)

III said...

Pep rallies... :)

Emily :) said...

I am so glad you all enjoyed this "trip" down memory lane. (See, I am the biggest dork ever.) Ann, yes, I am glad someone else felt the same excitement and "specialness" about that uniform. And the red lipstick.:) I am also glad to know I'm not the only one who snuck around to watch Dirty Dancing. Personally, as a seven year old I was clueless to most of what was going on in it!
And Philip, I had no idea the pep rallies were so entertaining for the future preachers of America. :)