Monday, September 12, 2011

So Much Football It'll Make Your Head Spin

I asked in another post what your favorite things about fall are and my two faithful readers (thanks Karen and Lori!) :) responded with football and fall food. I of course, said fall fashion. Well, this last weekend was a chance for those three to merge as my family embarked on "Football Weekend 2011". 

It started Friday night. One of my theater girls had asked me to come watch her and her friends perform with the band at half-time. I was thrilled to get the invite. I figured I was long gone  from her mind with the summer memories once she started a new school year. But, she invited so I was sure to go! It just so happened that somehow Sarah ended up having two friends over, so we arrived at the game (late, I might add) with 5 kids in tow. As we were getting out of the car I could see the other team's band lining up so I started rushing everybody to the gate. And by rushing, I mean waiting on 5 kids to unload, beg to take dolls into the stadium, and stroll through the parking lot like we had all the time in the world. Herding cats, y'all. HERDING CATS. Anyway, we got in, found a seat, saw 2 seconds of the show and Kate said, "I'm hungry."  Shocker. Sarah's friend had gone to get some money from her parents who were at the game, and Sarah took that as her cue, that she too, must have money for the concession stand. Josh gave her a $20 and I knew that meant nothin' but trouble. Next thing I know she is walking up the bleachers with a BOX full of 6 snow cones. That's my girl, so thoughtful. :)   We watched the rest of the show and worked on our snow cones. Then Kate had to go to the bathroom so I took that opportunity to run by the band section to wave at my girls. One even ran down to hug me. The old band nerd in me wanted to scream, "NO!!!! DON'T DO THAT!!" because when I was in band we would have faced the penalty of death for leaving the stands during a song. But, it was cool. We lasted about 20 more minutes after half-time during which we had to jump up and grab Kate as she almost fell down the bleachers and approximately half of our snow cones ended up on us or the surrounding bleachers. When we got there we got really good seats and I was afraid we might actually be sitting in the band section because there weren't many people around. Turns out, everybody else must have known that it was the section with the lady who screams really loud at every play and every announcement, including the announcing of the cheerleaders. So, we decided to call it a night. Don't worry, we left our mark. In cherry snow cone juice.

Saturday was a full day. I got up, fixed some orange fluff and a hashbrown casserole for our homecoming services. We met my Mom for lunch to celebrate Grandparents Day then headed to clean and vacuum out the jeep. I want to have it detailed so bad, but I'm afraid the people would pay me to not have to do it. Anyway, we got home and did a wardrobe change so we would be ready for the FSU game. Josh's parents were taking some boys from their church and got us tickets to go as well. It was the first time for the girls and I was anxious to see how they would like the experience. Personally, I spent more time in the bathroom and the concession stand than I did watching the game, but hey, that's part of the experience, right? :) I know the guy and his daughter who were sitting next to us (and had to move to let us out) were thinking they got the worst seats in the house, but they were very nice and he assured me he remembered what it was like when his kids were little. When I was sitting in the stands, I was fascinated by the football fashion. Long gone are the days of t-shirt and jeans. I saw all kinds of fashion. FSU dresses, rompers, you name it. I've decided if we start attending more games I will need a fuller football wardrobe. :)  A highlight for me was the half-time show (of course!). My cousin, Niki just made the Marching Chiefs this year and I was soooo excited when I found her on the field! It was an awesome show too.  I won't bore you with any more details, I will just share 5 dozen pics.









We had nachos  and funnel cake, our team scored lots of touchdowns and I got to see the look in Sarah's eyes when she realized the baton twirlers batons were ON FIRE! All in all it was a fabulous day. Thanks T and Dandy!

3 comments:

Patty Jo said...

I must have missed that post about Fall. But I'd have to say that te coolness and the olidays come to mind with fall for me. I love the idea of craft fairs and carnivals! Not that I attend many but it sounds great. Don't ya think?? LOL What a treat to get to the game! Wish we could come sometime with ya. Maybe we can line that up later on. That would be awesome! Have a great week!!

Patty Jo said...

My HHHHHHHHHH is broke on my computer and makes me look like I can't spell!! hahahahhhhhaaa Had to throw a few extra in there for revenge on the keyboard! ha Is that Biblical? LOL

Lori said...

It sounds like an awesome day!! My kind of awesome!!!