Saturday, June 16, 2012

Piggyback Rides

Josh, it seems like yesterday that I was an 18 year old girl smitten with a sweet boy. I didn't want to be smitten, I wanted to be independent and keep my heart as far away from the chance of being broken as possible. But I couldn't help myself, my heart already belonged to you. Thankfully it was safe with you.  Despite my horrible memory (you know about it better than anyone), I remember a night at the ballpark over 12 years ago like it happened yesterday. It was one of those life changing moments that etches itself in your mind permanently. Your ballgame was over and there was a little boy about 4 years old wrestling with you and you gave him a piggyback ride. He adored you, I think almost as much as I did. I was a senior in high school and had been searching for a college not a husband. But, at that moment I knew you were the man I was going to marry. I knew I wanted you to be the man giving piggyback rides and tickling my kids one day. Of course, I did not tell you that. (Sassy magazine taught me better than that. :)  

Almost 11 years and 3 kids later, I am eternally grateful you are the man God chose not only to be my husband, but the Daddy of my children.  I am thankful that you provide for us, encourage us, and support us. I am thankful that you invest in us, listen to us, and laugh with us. I am thankful you've learned to put little girl's hair in buns and that you make sure our son gets to his ballgames early for extra practice with you. I am thankful you explain things to our kids that I will never be smart enough to explain. I am thankful for the way you love me because I know you are teaching our kids how to love someone when their turn comes. (BTW, I'm pretty sure you've ruined it for every guy who tries to woo our girls. Their expectations and standards are going to be high.) Mostly, I'm thankful for piggyback rides and tickles and giggles. This parenting thing is hard, but it is lots of fun too, especially with you! I was pretty clueless at the age of 18, but it seems that there was one thing I was right about....you are a great Daddy!  






No comments: