Thursday, June 21, 2012

Thursday Tales.....

This is going to be my new version of Whatnot Wednesday. At least this week. :)

* Last night I was eating some of my nuts and seeds and dancing around the kitchen as I am prone to do, and before I knew it one of the seeds flew out of my hand and LANDED IN ELI'S HAND across the kitchen. I mean, he didn't try to catch it, it just landed there. It was the craziest thing. We need to take that show on the road.

* Speaking of dancing, Barbie has been out of town this week so I've been covering her classes. As of today I've danced for 15 hours. I may or may not be able to walk tomorrow.

* Speaking of walking, on Monday the battery died in the Jeep. Shocking right? Because I never have car issues.... :)  Anyway Josh jumped it off and sent me on my merry way to the dance studio. Six hours later I locked up the studio and crawled into the jeep SO ready to be home. The battery was dead again. I called Josh. It went straight to voicemail. I called again. Voicemail. I figured his phone was dead. Because, of course his phone would be dead. I sent him a message on Facebook and prayed he would check it. Then, I decided I would handle this on my own. There is an auto parts store just down the street and I just knew I could handle this on my own. Until it hit me that it was after 8:00 and we live in a town where the only business that stays open until 8:00 is apparently the dance studio. By this time, my phone died. Eventually I determined to just walk home because what if Josh never checked his Facebook? So,  I started the trek home. It's not a terribly long walk from town to our house, but there are two pretty big bridges. It was in that moment that I was reminded I should always take extra clothes when I am teaching dance. This preacher's wife doesn't normally traipse around town in skintight yoga pants and a fluorescent orange tank top, but hey, there's a first time for everything. I consoled myself that maybe people would think I was walking for exercise. You know, in flip flops totin' a 50 pound purse.

So, I walked and as I did I thought, 'Tonight is the night I become a Dateline special'. I could hear the narrator's voice in my head. "It was a hot summer night in a small Florida town. Downtown looked like a ghost town. The streets were bare except for a dance teacher who was down on her luck."  Well, thankfully there were no serial killers out. I walked and when I crossed the first bridge I started praying that Josh would come to my rescue before the second bridge because, well, I did not want to climb the second bridge. He did! Just as I was heading down the first bridge he drove up. He said he was glad I had that bright tank top on or he might not have seen me. :)  Moral of this story. Keep your batteries charged. All of them.

* Josh decided it was time for me to have "The Talk" (or at least parts of it) with our firstborn. I took her for a special mother/daughter day and then managed to have the most awkward "Talk"of all time. I may have assured her our eggs are not like chicken eggs. And that may or may not have been reassuring to her. Not sure. And she may or may not know anymore about the facts of life than she knew before. I am just relieved we had our children girl/boy/girl so that it will be Josh's turn next....

* I still do not have a job. Which is fine, because I really haven't had time for one this summer. :)  I was thinking the other day as I was driving that perhaps I should choreograph a dance to "Call Me, Maybe" and perform it in HR offices around town. What do you think? 

* The other day Kate came into the bathroom with me and told me that she wanted me to have some privacy with her.  That seems to be the only privacy I get these days. :)

What are you up to this summer? 

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Emily, I miss you so much! You are the only person who could bring light and laughter to such a situation! My battery died the other day and I had to have a friend pick me up for work so there weren't middle school kids running amuck!

Sarah B said...

Emily, You are the best. I have to say that as I was reading your story I started thinking this could have ended up like a Dateline special. Laughed the entire read. Really needed that! I will be praying that you find the perfect job for you soon. I think you should put your dance on youtube with your resume flashing across the screen for future employers.