Saturday, June 23, 2012

Disorderly Conduct

Once upon a time my husband bought me flowers and wrote me poetry. Today, he went above and beyond that. He spoke the sweetest words I've ever heard. He said, "I'm going to clean the front closet." My heart fluttered and then I began to tell him about some ideas I had. He then said, "Why don't I build some cubbies for our shoes?"  I thought he meant sometime in the future, like the time in the future when I plan to have my laundry room and all of our closets organized. But before I knew what was happening he was at the store buying wood.

You might not be able to properly understand my excitement unless you see our front closet. It is right beside our front door and when we moved into this house I was thrilled to finally have a closet we could use for shoes and coats. Until I realized that it's position by the front door meant that it would become the catch all for, well, all. I can't explain it. As painful and shameful as it is I will just have to show you.




Oh, there are no words. Usually this closet garners a great deal of huffing and puffing and loud sighing. I can pretty much count on leaving the house grumpy if it means I have to find someone's shoes in there. Don't be fooled by the ones hanging up in the shoe organizer. I'm the only one in the house who knows how to use it. I usually throw pairs in it if I find them along the way in a search for another pair. Up top we have what I refer to as the electronics tomb. It is where old laptops and other items go when they die and apparently we wait for them to be resurrected. It was one such laptop that pushed me over the edge with this closet. It fell on my head. That hurts, y'all.  

To top off the frustration of never being able to find anything, did I mention this is RIGHT BY OUR FRONT DOOR??? You have to remember, we are a preacher's family and live next door to the church. We have frequent unexpected visitors stop by. I will never forget praying with a sweet lady at my front door one day and while my heart was focused on her need, my mind was thinking, 'Dear Lord, please don't let her turn around until I can close the closet door. And if that doesn't happen, Dear Lord, please make me a bird so I can fly far, far away.' 

So, do you get my excitement now?  Well, after lots of hard work on my hubby's part, it's looking like a new closet!
I feel downright giddy! 

1 comment:

sarah said...

I love it! I too know the grumpy feeling of trying to find someone's shoes in the closet. It seems my two boys (ed and aidan) must think they are exempt from using our shoe rack. I hope your closet stays organized.