Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Whatnot Wednesday: Dance Camp Edition

Some of you may remember that last year I began my new career as a dance teacher with 2 weeks of 8 hour days. Yes, dancing 8 hours a day. With girls who were ages 5 and up. I lost 10 pounds. And every ounce of dignity I had as I stood in front of mirrors in a leotard dancing to Justin Beiber. But, I survived and I happily cashed that paycheck. :)  This year it was decided that maybe that was a bit much last year and so our dance camps have been broken up by age group and are only going from 8-12. The only one I'm responsible for is the tiny tots camp and it is happening this week. Monday, Wednesday and Friday. At first I was really excited that camp wouldn't be so involved. Then, as it approached, it hit me: What the heck was I going to do with kids ages 2-4 for FOUR hours????? That's a lot of dancing for that age, y'all. So, I armed myself with tons of obnoxious music, sidewalk chalk, a hula hoop and bubbles. And you know what? They've totally done better than the older girls!! They've amazed me. I'm having so much fun. So here are some random thoughts about this week:

* Never underestimate the power of animal crackers as a bribe.

* My son learned to do a cartwheel and watched a beauty pageant today. I may never be allowed to take him to work with me again.

* I stepped on Kate's barefoot with my tap shoe. :(   Is it sad that my first thought was, 'At least it's my kid' ?


* I am always one of the first people to get out when we play freeze dance.

* I could not go to sleep last night because I couldn't stop singing, "I love my teddy bear....".

* I had to fight extreme jealousy as I watched my middle school helpers eat mac and cheese and a pork chop biscuit for lunch. A PORK CHOP BISCUIT, y'all! I asked her where she got it from and she said her grandma got it for her at the Dixie Dandy. And I went back in time to a day when my Mamaw would feed me things like chicken and dumplins', potato salad and bread with NOTHING BUT BUTTER on it. And I could eat. And be skinny. And not feel guilty. It took everything in me to not stand up and do a soliloquy right then and there about enjoying your youth and eating what you want and getting a tan without worrying you will die from cancer. But I didn't. I refrained.

* I wish I had taken my camera so I could show you a pic of our audience. It consisted of 3 teddy bears, a monkey and a pink spotted dog.

* Last week I subbed for another teacher and taught her "World of Theatre" class. The kids played a game called  "Party". One person was the host and all the others came as guests with different emotions. It was the most entertaining thing I've seen in a while. As I sat there I concluded that I was either watching a future cast of SNL or future candidates for the loony bin. There's always such a thin line. :)

So what have you been up to this week? Hop on over to Everyday the Wonderful Happens and link up!

3 comments:

Lori said...

Oh my... reading about dance class made me laugh, made me tired, made me want to be in the audience and made me glad I'm not the teacher! I bet you're the PERFECT one for the job though!

Amber said...

You are so funny girl! I just love reading about your dance stories. Glad you had a great time!!!

Karen said...

I am laughing out loud - at work. :D - They think I'm crazy...