Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Adventures in Baby-Sitting

People always say that being a grandparent is the best thing ever. That grandchildren are your reward for not killing your own kids, or something special like that. Anyway, I'm not planning to be a grandparent anytime soon, but I have to believe the next best thing is being an aunt. I was worried that I wouldn't think being an aunt was as fun since I already had my own kids. But honestly, I think it makes it more fun because I can REALLY appreciate the whole "spoil 'em and send 'em home" mentality. :)

Well, this last weekend I was in all my Auntie Em glory. Or "Aunt Femily" glory, as my nephew Luke has renamed me. I always think it's funny when grandparents and familly members try to decide what they will be called. Let's face it, kids come up with their own names. How do you think my kids ended up with a grandma called T?  Okay, back to my glory. My sister called a couple of weeks ago and asked if I was serious about my offer to keep her kids for the weekend so she and her hubby could have some grown up time. I assured her I wouldn't have offered if I didn't mean it, and so, Friday afternoon Luke and Lyla joined the circus known as our house. My sister and her hubby hadn't even been out to eat by themselves since Lyla (who just turned 1) was born, so it was due. I just wasn't sure how the babies would handle it, but let me tell you, they were fine! My girls had Lyla in the doll stroller before her parents could leave and Luke had headed to Eli's room to engage in some boy activities.

We had chicken nuggets, peas (because you have to have a veggie) and mandarin oranges for supper. It was a hit. Lyla wanted seconds. She just wanted them to throw on the floor, but hey, that's what 1 year olds do. :)  After that they got their bath and then I laid Lyla down. The other kids weren't quite ready. I had no idea how that would go. Luke didn't sleep at all when they came down a few weekends ago for the dance recital. I had braced myself for that possibility. Of course my kids ended up being the problem. I went back to check on them at one point and Sarah, who should've been the one I could count on, was walking out of Eli's room in a dress-up race car driver suit, complete with hat. I laid the smack down and 45 minutes later my kids were out. Luke came and peeked his head in the living room and I told him it was time to sleep. Next thing I knew he had laid down on his little cot and passed out. By the 9:30! Woo-hoo! My sister literally texted me 2 minutes later and I was sooo happy to be able to tell her, "They're all asleep!"

Like the doofus that I am I, I stayed up until midnight. Then we snuck in our room. It feels like it's been 20 years since we've had a baby sleeping in our room. About 3am she was awake. I realized she was wide awake. Like, not going back to sleep anytime soon. I took her to the living room and we rocked and watched Golden Girls. There's not much on TV at 3am. It brought back memories of when Sarah was a baby and never slept and I watched the same shows around the clock. Every now and then Lyla would look up at me and flash that baby smile and I determined that she will probably get away with a lot in life thanks to that smile. :)  I remembered how when I was pregnant with Sarah my good friend's Mom told me to cherish the middle of the night rockings because they would be over before I knew it. She was right. I really did try to cherish those moments, but I won't lie. In the midst of severe sleep deprivation and fussy babies, it wasn't always easy. But I soaked up getting another chance for a late night rocking.

She went back to sleep about 5:00 and I don't know what time the other kids got up. Or her. Sarah came and got her out of the pack n play. Scared.me.to.death. We had a little talk about that, which she totally ignored because I caught her doing the same thing the next day. My kids seemed to really take advantage of the distraction of two other kids in the house.  By mid morning, my Mom and brother came over and I still hadn't had a shower. Again, it brought back memories of those days when a shower was a luxury. That afternoon Josh took our kids to a birthday party while Lyla napped. Me, Mom, Phil and Luke watched some Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Thomas the Train. Luke kept looking out the window for my kids and "Unk Josh". So sad. I totally just pretend he comes to see me. The rest of that day and night is a blur of laundry, food on the floor and Little People. I went back to Eli's room and Luke was having fun with the punching bag. He said, "Mom, watch!" I realized then that I think my poor nephew is really confused by how much my sister and I look alike. Bless his heart. I think that was also the day that I walked into the kitchen to find Kate with the milk carton and Luke with the eggs. Most of them broken. Kate was so proud to have somebody to tell on. Nevermind that she is the little instigator. When I found them like this, I decided it might be the safest place!!!
Sunday morning was also an adventure. Althought it went so much smoother than I expected. The kids were all asleep by 9:30 the night before and slept all night! I got me and 5 kids ready and we still got to church 10 minutes earlier than usual!!!! Yes, I'm bragging. I tell ya, it was a moment for me. I can remember when I just had Sarah and I think that child was 4 months old before I took her to church because I just could not get us up and ready. Then, I had the other 2 and well, y'all have read my blog. CRAZINESS! And now, I got 5 kids fed, dressed AND knew where their shoes were. If you don't believe in miracles, I'm telling you you should.
To top it off, I even had time to take pictures. Because that's what you do when you have 5 children dressed in church clothes. :)
Sarah and Kate with their real life babydoll, Lyla
Are they cute or what??

Boys have to stick together

I just feel like when I see this picture I could have my own TLC show. :)  Then I think of my friends who have 5 or more kids and do this EVERY SUNDAY and y'all are my heroes. For reals.

Jenny and Dillon were waiting in our driveway when we walked home from church. I know they missed their youngins. After some McDonalds (What? I got everybody ready, did you expect me to cook, too?) and an impromptu birthday party for Uncle Phil, it was time for everybody to head home. Luke said he didn't want to leave, which did my heart good. Then, Sarah and Eli said they did and I was snapped back to reality. Oh well. Can't win 'em all. :) I'll just look forward to our next adventure in baby-sitting!

1 comment:

Lori said...

It's so cool that your kids are going to have cousins like that. You are a super cool Auntie Em OR Aunt Femily!!