Monday, November 29, 2010

Knock, Knock

So I know that this has been a slow month of blogging for me and that when I have blogged it's been a little bit of a downer. I am proud to announce that I am finally feeling like a somewhat normal human being again, and today, I've even been productive. You have to understand, I don't know where the month of November went. In addition to grieving and being prescribed a medicine that made me CA-RAZY, I just have not been able to shake this stinkin' cold.  When we got back from Ga. Kate woke up about 2:00 Sunday morning puking. So much fun. It was one of those, clean up, doze off for 3 1/2 minutes, wake up to puking child, clean up, doze off for 3 1/2 minutes, and well you get the picture. Sure enough Josh woke up with it. He preached Sunday morning, but Sunday afternoon as he was hugging the toilet I suggested that maybe he should stay home Sunday night. I assured him our church members would thank him. So, it's just been a rough go around here. I went to bed last night determined that this week was going to be better.

So far, so good. I started making lists today. That's right, making my lists and checking them twice. :)  We all know the craziness December brings and I am determined to get a handle on it and ENJOY as much of this time as possible. I am so not a list maker, but for some reason it made me feel in control today. First, I made a list of people to buy for. I thought it would make me feel good to check off the people I've bought for until I soon realized they were way outnumbered by the people I haven't. Oh well. Next list. It is my to do list of things we need to do around the house. Like clean, Everything. And decorate the tree. And oh yeah, get a tree. :)  Okay, so I moved on from those lists and decided to write down all of the things I want to get the kids. I know it will probably stress some of you out that I do not already have that shopping done, but we have always just waited and gone and done all of our shopping at one time for the kids. Mostly because it is impossible to hide presents from my kids so it helps to wait until the last minute. And....apparentlly there are 4 billion toys that come out in the weeks leading up to Christmas and my kids want them all. :) So anyway, that was really fun. I am so thankful for the internet and being able to compare prices and check out reviews online.  My goal is to map out my shopping so that I can just run to the store and BAM! BAM! BAM! Get my stuff and go!! I do better when I plan ahead when it comes to shopping. So, while I don't actually have anything DONE, I do have a plan and that makes me feel better. :)

Well, as exciting as all of that is to you, I thought I would leave you with some sayings (and sightings) that have made me laugh.

*Our first night in Georgia we thought it would be super fun for all of the cousins to have a sleepover in my nepehw's room. Yeah, we don't know what we were thinking either. Anyway, my sister had the baby monitor on and let me tell you, it almost made me want to go get one even though my kids don't really  need one anymore. I would totally start a blog called "Overheard on the Baby Monitor".  Oh.My.Word.

First, we heard Sarah being the responsible oldest cousin. She kept trying to calm Luke (age 2) and Kate (age 3) down. We heard her saying over and over, "Alright big fella, alright big fella."  It wasn't long until we heard the high pitched voice of Kate saying, "Alright little fella, alright little fella". That girl has such bossiness issues. She eats it up when she has someone smaller than her around to tell what to do.  Then, hysterical laughter ensued. I mean, rolling on the floor, tears coming out of your eyes laughing. High pitched, squealing toddler laughter. Sarah, again being the responsible one says, "It's not funny over here."  Two seconds later Eli chimes in with, "It's not funny over here, either!" 


The Responsible One


The 2 Silly Gooses

*My children have a new favorite activity. Telling knock, knock jokes. Except they don't really get it. This is what we heard on our trip this weekend:  "Knock, knock."  "Who's There?"  "Banana."  "Banana who?"  "Orange Banana."  The best was when Kate got in on the action. "Knock, knock."  "Who's There?"  "Banana." "Banana who?"  "Strawberry shortcake."  We're going to have to work on our jokes......

*Knock, knock jokes aren't the only thing my kids don't quite get. It's probably a good thing, but they seem to be lacking in sarcasm skills as well. At one point in the car on the way back I asked Eli, "Could y'all find something else to argue about?"  His response? "But we don't have anything else to argue about."    :)

KNOCK, KNOCK


*As if my kids don't provide enough laughter in my life, I got to go to dance today. If I tell you that I teach 10 3-4 year olds ballet, tap and tumbling for an hour and a half will you instantly know that our class would put a SNL skit to shame? Please envision my little girls doing a sweet dance to "Silent Night". Pretty twirls and rocking the baby. Then, imagine them ending on one knee with their arms in a beautiful pose. Then, imagine looking in the mirror and glancing at their poses until you reach the two on the end, one with her hands around the other girl's neck, choke hold style.  After surviving Silent Night, we worked on our tap routine to "Jingle Bells". One of the girl's still had her jingle bell tutu on during tumbling and I was taken by surprise when her Mom came running in during class yelling, "Get that out of your nose!"  Yes, she had her jingle bell in her nose. I took that opportunity to educate all of my girls on the danger of jingle bells up there noses. Tis' the season....

I hope these things have put a smile on your face too! Speaking of smiles, I have to tell y'all one more hilarious thing. I got an e-mail tonight saying I was given a blog award by Dental Hygienist Schools. I feel both honored and incredulous. They said they not only want to encourage dental hygiene, but also encourage people dealing with family frustrations. I may not cover the dental hygiene on this blog, but I sure do cover some family frustrations!!! Will y'all think I'm obnoxious if I post my award on my blog? Maybe it will remind me to make my kids brush their teeth every night........

4 comments:

Karen said...

YAY for making lists - I knew I would rub off on you one day... :)

Hopefully Josh stayed home Sunday night - I'm quite sure God will forgive him for not spreading his germs around...just sayin'

LOL on the Baby Monitor Eavesdropping - you should get one and start a second blog. Too funny. Praying for Sarah though as she is faced with the "Oldest Sibling, Responsible, Dependable" Role. Actually, and you know this - it's not so bad, you just grow up before your time.
Anyway, hope everyone is finally feeling better!

Anonymous said...

( :

Karen said...

Just read your comment on my blog and "The Christmas Card" is my FAVORITE Christmas movie - I can wath it in July and this time of year and I can watch it over and over and over and...

Home: Inside and Out said...

Ok so there must be a silly knock-knock joke epidemic. Allison has attempted this recently, too! It went something like this: Knock-knock. Who's there? Banana. Banana Who? Banana in the top of the tree???? (Laughs hysterically...) I don't get it. You almost have to laugh...