Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Some Kind of Thankful

This is a very random, somewhat serious, but no so much, look at just a few of the things I'm thankful for right now.

(This is being written with the assumption that you all know I am over the moon thankful for my salvation, my husband, children, extended family, church family, food, a warm bed, a house to live in and all of those important things.)

1. TOILET PAPER- Kate and I have come down with some killer colds and I have to say, I have a new appreciation for a roll of toilet paper. Sometimes a box of kleenex just doesn't cut it.  Nuff said about that.

2. MY JOB- Let's face it, I have the best job ever. I still can't believe I got a job doing something I love when I wasn't even looking for a job in a place that didn't even have a dance studio until a few months after we moved here. I am so thankful for a job that allows me to still be a stay at home most of the time and that allows me to have my kids with me the rest of the time when I'm working. I am thankful for all of the other children who have become a part of my life and the chance to become part of the community. I love having a job that keeps me active and creative. I love that when Monday is moving slow I go to the dance studio and pretend to catch butterflies and do twirls. You can't beat it.


3. TEXT MESSAGING- I am pretty new to the text messaging phenomenon. I just started back in March when we moved and I got a new phone. Before I had  a phone without a keypad and I just did not have the patience or coordination for it. Anyway, now I am totally addicted to texting. I am a really bad phone person. I always have been, but especially after having kids it is just so frustrating trying to have a conversation with little people hollerin' in the background or being too quiet. It's bad when you're on the phone and it's too quiet. That's just a little heads up for any new moms or moms to be out there. So, I love being able to send a quick text.

It has really come in handy since I've been sick. I stayed home with Kate Sunday so other Moms wouldn't give me the ugly look when I brought my snotty nose child into the nursery and that just happened to be the day our church was having our Thanksgiving meal together. Josh had promised to bring a plate home for me and Kate. He sent me a text saying, "Ham or turkey?"  So, I responded with "Turkey".  Tonight he is picking up Mexican for us and I just got a text asking, "Steak, chicken, or shrimp?"  My text back- "Chicken". I was just about to write that we have to be the most romantic people on the planet when I got this text- "You're welcome. My phone tries to guess what I'm typing...and when I typed in you're, it inserted HOT! My phone is brilliant!!!!"   LOL. Oh my goodness. Another reason to love texting. Josh's phone thinks I'm hot. What can I say, I have to take what I can get. :)

4. MY FRIENDSHIPS- I have to admit, I find having friendships to be very difficult sometimes. At least the logistics of it. With moves and kids and the whole being the preacher's wife thing (that can really weird some people out) I find myself longing for more "here and now" kinds of friendships. I have to remind myself we haven't been here that long and that it takes time to build those friendships. But, I am still so thankful for the friendships I have been blessed with that have survived miles and miles of distant and often a lack of communication due to my lack of phone skills. Even if I don't have the hang out every weekend kind of friends, I do ,without a doubt, have some of the best friends a girl could ask for. The kind of friends who have been there through the bad times. The  kind of friends that I can go months without talking to and then pick up right where we left off. The kind of friends that you don't even have to talk to to know what they are thinking. The kind of friends that plan girl's weekend get aways and let me tag along. :) I am soooo thankful. And while I'm at it, I know I've already done the obligatory, "I'm thankful for my husband" bit, but honestly, he goes in this category. 11 years ago I was scared to death that if we started dating it would ruin our friendship. It was just the opposite. He is still my best friend.

5. ARGAN OIL- I told y'all this was going to be random. Soon after we moved here I went to a new hair lady and she used this stuff on my hair and it has just changed my life. In the past when I would go get my hair did they would use at least 35 products to tame my mane (slight exaggeration, but not much). Now, this stuff totally does the same thing all by itself!



6. OTHER PEOPLE HAVING BABIES FOR ME TO LOVE ON- Well, I need to go eat my Mexican food so I'm going to wrap this up. I am SO THANKFUL for the chance to be an aunt! My sister thinks I have baby fever (and it may have something to do with this picture), but I really don't. I LOVE my children and am so thankful for them, but it is THRILLING to my soul to have babies that I can hold and kiss and buy cute stuff for AND THEN GIVE THEM BACK! I used to think it would have been more fun to be an aunt before I had my own, but NO WAY! I totally appreciate the fun part without all of the hard work! Judge me if you will. Adding to my thankfulness is the fact that I just learned over the weekend that I am going to be an aunt again! Josh's sister, Leah and her husband Brad are expecting their first baby! So exciting! (If I put up one of those donation buttons on my blog will y'all help finance a trip to Italy for me to be there? Just thought I would ask. :) 



Uncle Josh and Aunty Em acting a little silly over Baby Lyla  :)


I've enjoyed reading other's blogs about what you are thankful for, but if there is something you want to share here I would love to hear it! Nothing is too serious or silly!!!

1 comment:

Amber said...

Emily you are so funny, I wish I had your quick wit and awesome sense of humor. Hey can we add me to that list of donations to the trip I would love to be there for the birth too. =)