Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Making of a Fan

Yesterday was a big day in the life of the Fidlers. Eli attended his first FSU ballgame. This event required two grandmas (or a T and a Nana) to keep the girls so the boys could have a bonding day with a crazy, picture taking Mama tagging along. Of course, the first order of business was our wardrobe. What are social (or athletic) events if not an opportunity for new clothes, right? Eli had already planned last Sunday night as he lay awake anticipating the ballgame that he would wear his FSU jersey. A cold spell came through so I had to purchase a turtleneck to wear under it and Dandy bought him a new hat. He is passionate about wearing only FSU colors and I thought I would never get him to wear his coat. He okayed the black turtleneck because the Seminole's hair is black. :) I, too, needed new gear (and by needed I mean wanted) so my sweet Mama kept the youngins for Josh and I to have a date. We went to eat and then I dragged Josh through several stores and he secretly cursed the day he agreed to let me to go this game. :) Since the cold weather showed it's face it changed the gameplan of what I was going to wear. I actually ended up finding a coat that was $2 cheaper than the long sleeved shirt I was going to get, so I went with that and a garnet scarf, gloves and hat.

With our wardrobe settled we met at Josh's parent's house the next morning.
After a stop by McDonald's we began our 2 hour journey to Tallahassee during which Eli asked me repeatedly, "Is it an hour or a minute? Are we in Tallahassee?"  (Asked approximately 15 minutes into the drive.)  He passed the time drawing pictures of aliens, cowboys, sharks and our dogs. I passed the time taking pics of him.
He also passed some time whistling the FSU song....


We finally got there and Eli was overwhelmed by the sights, It was homecoming so the festivities were in full force. I realized that this was my first time attending a homecoming game as an alumni. I thought I might get homecoming queen but I didn't. Maybe next year. :)

There was only one activity that struck Eli's fancy......the pitching game. He is Josh's son. I knew Josh wanted to play too, but he wouldn't.

                                 Soon it was time to head to our seats! Eli is posing with his ticket.

Once we were up in our section he was taking it all in. I was amazed that of all the sights around us he pointed out two things: The flags at the stadium and the Chick-Fil-A cow who was making an appearance in the stands.

     A family tradition continues on!
 
I wish so bad my Daddy could've been there. He would just be tickled pink that Eli is such a football fan.

My first favorite moment was when the military planes did their flyover and then watching Josh teach Eli how to hold his ballcap over his heart while the band played the star spangled banner. I teared up a little, y'all.

Soon it was time to start and you know what that means.....a trip to the concession stand!

First, there were nachos.....


Then, there was popcorn......
Before I left to go get the popcorn Josh asked if I had enough cash. I told him I had a $20. He started stuffing more money in my purse. He informed me he had just paid $16 for our nachos and 2 drinks!!! For the record, if you ever come to eat at my house I will treat you to a sweet tea or a diet coke in one of our souvenier Florida State cups. Some people have fine china, we have concession stand cups.....

After halftime I made my way to find a funnel cake. I figure betwee the tuition I paid to FSU and the concession stand, there should be a parking space in my name next time or something. Yeah, right!

Of course you all know I have no clue about football. It truly feels like I am watching a foreign film with no captions. But watching Eli was lots of fun! He clapped when everybody else clapped. He stood up for touchdowns. He stomped his feet when they told us to make some noise. And that boy did some tomahawk chopping. I mean, he didn't miss one time. They played the song so much I got to where I didn't even notice it, but I would look over and Eli would be chopping!
It got really cold and we had to bundle up. Josh had looked at me like I was crazy when I asked if I could take my blanket, but he was totally jealous I had it by the end of the game.



It got ugly in the 4th quarter, but Eli was holding out hope....
Well, it didn't end pretty, y'all. We lost in the last minute, literally. And it only lasted a minute. I couldn't figure out why all the other minutes lasted so long, but that one went by so fast! It was heartbreaking, but the day wasn't a total loss....I can tell FSU has a new fan for life!

Thanks for a great day, Dandy!

3 comments:

Lori said...

I thought about y'all this weekend when I watched the end of that game!! We had a tough last minute too!

I gotta tell you - this post - so proud!! I teared up a little myself:) We will have to go to an FSU game together sometime. I am an alumni from there too:)

Amber said...

Going to games with the boys is alot of fun! I love watching Caleb too when I get a chance to go. And you tell Josh to leave you alone about the blanket and the last game we had our Ole Miss blanket in tow! Caleb and I were happy to have had it too! Love that Dandy and Josh got to take their boy to the game!

Melody said...

Football season is the best and especially with the boys!!! So glad ya'll had fun.