Tuesday, March 1, 2011

This Little Piggy Went to Market

So, you may have noticed I have been talking about food alot. Have you noticed that? As I looked over the last several posts of February I realized, I eat a lot! For some reason I have just become very interested in learning more about this healthy eating thing and trying to do it better.

One of the things I've always heard is that the fresher things are, the better. I would hear people talk about going daily to pick up their ingredients and I would think, 'Yeah right!' Of course, for several years I lived at least 20 minutes from any grocery store and was often sharing a vehicle. When I went shopping it was marathon, shop like the world is coming to an end kind of trips. Well, now we live 5 minutes from the Pig and we literally go into town every weekday for school and dance. So, this week I've decided that everyday I will go and pick up what I need  for the night and maybe some snacks for the next day. I won't lie, today I was sooo tired and the thought of going to the grocery store AGAIN was not as appealing. But, I had to pick Sarah up from dance anyway so I sucked it up and me and the girls headed to the Pig. I had a list that was less than a third of what an old list would have looked like. We did our shopping in ten minutes and checked out under $20. (That included toilet paper, too. I pretty much have to go to the store for that everyday anyway. Kate hasn't quite grasped proper tp usage yet.) I have to say, I really like our Pig and it is very easy to get around and get out of. There is no way in the world I could go to Wal-Mart everyday, even if I lived in the parking lot. I'm telling ya, you couldn't pay me to do it. I'm sure at some point I will have to do an all out trip to Wal-Mart for pantry essentials, but so far it is fun to go and get our meat, veggies and fruits. And that is pretty much all I can eat without dairy. Do you know how much stuff has milk in it????

Tonight I repeated a recipe from last week. Last week I made a turkey stir-fry and Josh said he would like to try it with steak, so we did that tonight.
I've become addicted to using as many colors in every meal as I can. I know, I need a life. BTW, don't leave your  spatula like that. The plastic will melt on the skillet. Just so you know. But, you probably aren't pausing to take pics of your meals. :)

I also learned on FB from one of my friends, Pao, that today is National Peanut Butter Day. Pao is in grad school working in nutrition sciences and she is always my go to food person. Several years ago I was a MOPS coordinator and she came and gave all of us Moms awesome, healthy snack ideas for kids. I can understand why you need a graduate degree in nutrition. You would think it would be easy, but the more I think I learn, the more I realize how complicated it is! Anyway, thanks Pao for making me aware of Peanut Butter Day! I knew the kids would be excited about that. I decided to make ants on a log. Well, without the ants. My kids are not pro ants or raisins. Somebody at school told Eli that ants put poisin in you when they bite you  and that led to a slightly (majorly) huge nervous breakdown last time he was bit by one. So, I just didn't want to bring it up. :)

This is my favorite picture. Eli just decided to scoop a finger of peanut butter (he's the reason I have the ginormou can of pb) and Sarah was doing her big sisterly duty of chastising him.

On another note, when we got home from the Pig all of the neighbors were gathered watching something. I couldn't figure out exactly what was going on. I said hello to my neighbors and they informed me they were watching somebody trying to get a dump truck unstuck out of our neighbor's yard behind us. I informed them that so sounded like something that would happen to us. It was quite a sight watching a big ol' tractor pull that thing out. I felt bad not offering assistance, but I don't have much experience pulling dump trucks out of holes. Pulling a tall, healthy 3 year old out of the front seat of the buggy at the Pig is as close as I get!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I prefer my ants on a log antsless. Hee hee. Love all your food posts! Keep them coming. (:

Amber said...

I love how you say going to the pig! Puts a smile on my face =) And we have to buy a huge thing of peanut butter at our house too, Taylor loves it! and will put in a request for a spoonful sometimes =)

Melody said...

You are hilarious! Okay, so is "the pig" Piggy Wiggly grocery store? We had a piggly wiggly and that's what we called it but never went to it because it was oh so nasty and is now shut down, I believe. Just curious if Fla had them too. Apparently. Unless you're just choosing to call the Fresh Market "the pig" Ha! Kidding.

Emily :) said...

Yes Melody, it's the Piggly Wiggly! Ours is actually pretty nice!

Karen said...

I am so jealous! I've wanted for years to do the daily shopping thing - or a least every couple of days - and I actually have the time to do it - however, as Wal-Mart is our only option (gag) and their produce always looks like it's been sitting on the truck for about 6 days in 100 degree heat (it probably has)we just don't shop - ever. Add to that the only thing my mom will eat is hambugers and yeah - it's a nine day wonder we don't all weigh 5000 pounds and have heart disease and/or strokes...wait...never mind...*sigh*

Cortnee said...

LOL!! Thumbs up Emily--Kids are getting big!!