Monday, October 26, 2009

Showin' My Roots and My Hiney

I'm in a bad mood. I'm just putting that out there. Why am in a bad mood? I have no idea. I guess it's just been one of those days, but the truth is that at some point I just decided I was in a bad mood.

*Somedays I LOVE homeschooling. Somedays I want to find the nearest bus station and run away. Today was one of those days.

* My kids refuse to wear shoes outside, throw their jackets on the kitchen floor and want to eat everything except the food I fix for lunch.

* Kate thinks it's funny when I carry her back to bed for her nap 86 times.

* No matter how much I clean my house is always a mess. As I write this my living room floor is littered with paper, a belt, a book, a baseball, a purse, a dog toy and 1 sock. Just one sock because I might still be sane if we could actually find 2 matching socks in this house.

* Four people stopped by unexpectedly today. People only do this when the trash hasn't been taken out and I am looking like Night of the Living Dead. (Two of these visitors pulled up in an RV across the street to tour the Presbyterian Church. It is an honest to goodness historical site. The lady wanted me to tell her where she could find certain items about the history of Montrose. I've only lived here 3 years and can't remember 3 hours ago. Her great-grandfather had come through in 1884, gone to school, planted a crop and then moseyed along to Georgia. I assured her she knew more than I did and proceeded back to my home to do the 900th load of laundry.)

* I am seriously considering packing us all up and moving to a nudist colony as 125% of my life is now spent arguing with little people about what they are going to wear.

*My roots are showing. I started coloring my hair a while back just because it made my hair shinier. It never really changed the color much. This last time it DID change the color on top and today I noticed that for the first time in my life, I have roots. I look like a black and orange skunk. That's okay because my stinky attitude matched.

I could have reacted to all of these things in a patient, Christ-like manner. I didn't. I showed my hiney. I screamed a lot. I thought a lot of bad things and said some of them under my breath. To top the day off we went to Sarah's dance recital and I dressed all of us too warm. It was 190 degrees in that building. (This post is so mathematical, isn't it?) The sweatshirt that I had fought with Eli to put on came back to bite me as he glued himself to me and I just knew this wicked witch was going to leave a puddle right there in the city hall building. It also took all that is within me not to go off on some of the people and say, "If you are one of the blessed ones with a seat in the front, sit yo hiney down, so the rest of us can see!!!" But, I knew that my hiney is already in enough trouble for the way I had acted all day, so I controlled myself.

What a no good, very bad, terrible, awful day. You know where it got really messed up? The second I decided that it was going to be a no good, very bad, terrible, awful day. It all went down hill from there. Joshua said in chapter 24 verse 15, "Choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."

Today, I served selfishness, impatience, and immaturity. God's mercies are new everyday and I'm choosing that my house, we will serve the LORD!!!! I will also color my roots and begin tours of historical Montrose this Friday. Come, bring your family and your RV.

No comments: