Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Our Honeymoon: The Grand Finale!!

I know that you have probably lost sleep waiting for the final chapter of this mini-series. :) I have recently been attempting to create a sense of order and a schedule in my home and actually be productive everyday. Turns out, I don't have too much computer time when I actually do all of the things I'm supposed to do everyday!

On the last full day of our trip we went to Dollywood. I have to admit that I had a great sense of anxiety about that outing. I had not been to an amusement park since I had started repopulating the earth and I was scared. Despite the fact that there was a time when I could ride every ride imaginable I now get sick on the merry go round and the swings at the park! But I sucked it up and we headed out.


Dollywood is absolutely beautiful and the people working there were so nice. I had to post this pic because I just love how the birds are looking at each other like "Who's the crazy lady?" Josh was ready to hit the roller coasters first thing and I decided that was probably best since I had not eaten yet. But speaking of eating I had to get a picture of this on the way in. Don't you just love the south? There's not anything we won't fry!!


We first went on ride that took us up really high, spun us around and then leaned really far to each side. I survived and it was actually pretty fun. The next ride was the Mystery Mine and let me tell you, if part of that roller coaster had not been a mystery Josh would have never gotten me on it! At one point there is a straight 90 degree drop!!!!!!!!!!!!! For some reason I was the only person screaming. Of course, I screamed at the first little dip too. I'm pretty sure the people on that ride spent the rest of the day avoiding being on the same ride as me. We also rode the Tennesse Tornado and I actually loved it! For some reason I cannot handle straight drops but I love looping upside down. Go figure. Somehow I handled the rides better than the swings at the park. We also went on a white water rafting ride. We got soaked. When we were getting off the attendant said "Congratulations to the newlyweds!" I thought it was very sweet he thought we were newlyweds seeing as how we've been married almost 8 years and have 3 kids. We've been through a lot in those 8 years too and I'm glad we still seemed like newlyweds!

Josh was really excited about a ride called The Sidewinder. Think Cool Runnings with water. We were going on a bobsled. First, let me tell you we walked about 85 miles uphill to get to this thing. And did I mention that I insisted on wearing my cute sandals instead of sensible tennis shoes? When we got to the top of the hill I thought I was going to have to call an ambulance as I was wheezing and gasping for breath. It didn't seem to phase anybody else. How embarrassing. Then, we had to get weighed. I assured everyone that I had lost at least 10 pounds coming up that hill. Ten pounds or a lung, I wasn't sure. Anyway, when it was time to get in I had to sit in between Josh's leg and then some lady I had never met had to sit in between mine. I wanted to inform her that I have never been introduced to anyone in that position unless I had just given birth to them. I didn't have time. When we took off I was convinced we were going to go flying through the mountains never to be seen again. Luckily, we stayed the course, but we for real got soaking wet that time. I had on jeans and let me tell you, that is a bad feeling!


So, Josh and I headed out to find this dryer we had seen earlier. We had laughed about people paying $3 to use it, but there we were, wet and miserable and looking for the dryer. It was about the most wasted $3 because it really did not dry our clothes. I personally felt like I was being assaulted in the face with a hair dryer. I wanted to ask someone to take our picture inside of it, but I knew that even Josh has his limits and I might not have a ride back to the cabin.

There is a chapel at Dollywood and I had just had to share a picture of this "window". Instead of stained glass they have framed quilts. Isn't it beautiful? One of my goals for the year is to learn to sew, but really if I can make a pillow or some curtains I will be happy. I really hope that somewhere people are learning how to do stuff like this to keep passing down the tradition. What a gift!

I also had to take a picture of this scene. Just so you know I plan to have a front porch like this one day and you can all come sit a spell and have a glass of sweet tea!



This is the restaurant where we ate lunch. We got cheeseburgers and chili cheese fries and they were heavenly! In case you haven't noticed from my other posts, I LOVE to eat. And those were the best chili cheese fries ever! While we were eating I knocked my cup of chili off the table (you can't take me anywhere!) and I know I should have been very embarrassed but I really just wanted to cry because that chili was so good! The last time we went on vacation (Sept. 2004) we went to eat at the Sundial in Atlanta. It's a restaurant that spins so you get a view of the whole city. During that meal my glass of water just slipped right out of my hand. Luckily we just rotated right past it!! (Now you know why we don't go out much. :) I know you are envisioning bad things to come with me eating chili cheese fries at an amusement park, but all was well. :)




I desperately wanted to drive a pink cadillac and I will not even tell you how long I stood in line with 4 and 5 year olds who were waiting for their chance to drive. I didn't get the pink caddy, but I thought this car was pretty cute too. It played "Chapel of Love" the entire ride and that made it all worth it for me!
We had a great day acting like kids, taking in the sights, and enjoying the best chili cheese fries ever. We can't wait to go back and take the kids!
Speaking of them we spent our last night there searching for the perfect surprises to bring back.




Kate got a little lion that looks like Eli's lion USED to look. :)


Eli got a gun. What can I say? He's a boy and he likes to shoot things.


Sarah loves horses so we had to get this for her. Let me introduce you to the newest member of our family. Sarah named her Ginger Beth Fidler. :)



2 comments:

Lori said...

What a fun trip!! Long overdue - I'm so glad that you guys had such a fun time. You brought back really great presents too. I just believe there is nothing better than a soft stuffed animal:)

Karen said...

Love the picture of you and the birds. :) Y'all definately need to take the kids one day. They would have a blast. As for passing things on to the next generation, one of the most important things you can give your kids is a love of the mountains :) (Well, that or any type of travel - and I will be happy to assist in their travel education any way I can :D ) Anyway, glad yall had fun. You deserved it.